Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone but looking around on this forum for a while, my bee's will be hee in Apil, I have a couple of questions if any one would like to help I would appreciate it. (a) from what i have been reading I would really like to go foundationless and useing all med frames if i ever plan on moveing the hives should I put in wires also? (b) I live in Lexington,Tn about 1/2 way between Nashville and Memphis would 2 med to winter the bee's be enough with spring and fall feeding my winter's are usually not that bad here?
Thanks for any information

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome Wildcody. Do you have a local bee club or a group of people that you can bounce questions off of that would answer specific questions that depend on geographic area? Also, where are you getting your bees from?

·
Registered
575 Posts
(a) and (b) are a tremendous amount of very good questions. I wished I had asked them instead of grabbing a basic book.

I perceive from them that you are open to methods that are alternative to the modern and accepted Langstroth hives that are the backbone of our honey production, the choice of commercial keepers, and considered standard. Good for you.

Bees do what they do and are not conscious of our existence or desires. Since they live in Alaskan trees and tropical forests, I suspect any reasonable abode will do. The best description of beekeeping I've heard came from someone I fascinated with my tall tales. "Experience the challenge on their terms."

I've been at it for five or six years with some success, many lessons and more to learn than I know. My 5 Langstroth hives survived the winter and I hope my top bar did to. If so, I plan to expand with the top bars and may even forgo the langs.

Based on your questions, the best guidance I can provide is to pursue why instead of procedure, find a buddy to share the experience, ask specific questions here and spend time with Michael Bush at his website "http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm". He is very encouraging, his views are even handed and I haven't found a better single resource.

Best of luck and happy beekeeping.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Wiring the frames would be more for extracting them then for moving them, so if you plan on extracting honey then I would suggest wires. I would not try to winter with less then 3 mediums which is close to two deeps. MHO

Welcome!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

You've already got some good answers to your questions here, so I'll just post a link to local clubs:
http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/locals.htm

Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected with local beekeepers. Much of beekeeping is location-specific, so the local beeks will be able to help you with what works best in your area.

Check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum - lots of good info covering the basics.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If you are going to harvest cut comb then no wires else install wires and them will build the comb right through it with no problem.

PM Beehunter. He lives in Centerville which shouldn't be that far from you. A great beek and person. I am sure that he would help you any way he can. He runs only mediums and raises small cell bees. Tell him Ken in Murfreesboro told you to contact him. He belongs the the Nashville Beek club. Believe it is called Middle TN Beekeepers Assoc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts