Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New AFB (American Foulbrood) treatment / vaccine approved

2633 Views 53 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  NUBE
First I've heard of this AFB treatment:

Reactions: Cloverdale
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
836 Posts
I think the wonderful monied pointy heads may have come up with a great system to get funding with little help to beeks. I did not read the paper and am uninterested in trying it so there may be something I am missing, but I understand the vaccine is supposed to change queens ovaries. I wonder what happens when the bacterium develops to overcome whatever has been changed in the ovaries? I wonder what new problems this will cause future beekeepers? So far we have not managed to interfere with a natural system without creating massive side effects that anyone with a small amount of common sense could have foreseen (hey, let's bring some rabbits to Australia to enhance our hunting pleasures!).... Not a fan.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder what new problems this will cause future beekeepers?
gee I was looking at the positive side, "The vaccine, which will initially be available to commercial beekeepers, aims to curb foulbrood, " , with the commercial beeks jumping on the bandwagon and them being the major supplier of nucs in NY, I figure we can get rid of the bee inspectors and that Illegal law they are running under, since the reason for the law was controlling AFB. :) But on a lighter side, everyone that is not a fan had better start raising their own queens because I have no doubt the queen breeders will use it, gives them a really good advertisement when selling.

· Registered
836 Posts
Yes and then it will be the norm and not even advertised anymore, like chicken vaccines. I have found one supplier for meat birds that does not vaccinate and never had a problem. Several others had to look it up as the reps did not know. Many of the vaccines are given to the egg before hatch.... Hard to avoid and completely unnecessary for small outdoor producers. Though I understand that factory farms raising 40k birds every 6-8 weeks will need them.
Bees, I'm happy to raise my own queens. I'm also happy to have the inspector over to help inspect hives once a year. I have heard about inspectors penalizing the competition which I would not enjoy. But so far I am happy with them.

· Registered
9,098 Posts
The USDA has granted a "conditional license" for a vaccine that will initiatially be available to commercial beekeepers. Any idea what the conditions are? In other words is it still in trials or is it approved for wide distribution? From what I read it is perhaps not a fait accompli.

· Registered
17 Posts
The bees are having a rough go of it, and that’s news bad for humans—we need bees to pollinate our crops. Now, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has given the green light to a biotech company to vaccinate honeybees against a fatal infectious disease, one of the major threats to these creatures.
Dalan Animal Health developed the vaccine, which recently received a conditional license from the USDA and is designed to protect honeybees against infections of American foulbrood. American foulbrood is a fatal disease caused by the bacteria Paenibacillus larvae; it can kill honeybees in the pre-pupal or pupal stage of their life cycle. The disease is spread through bacterial spores and can take down an entire colony.

“We are committed to providing innovative solutions to protect our pollinators and promote sustainable agriculture. Global population growth and changing climates will increase the importance of honeybee pollination to secure our food supply,” said Dalan Animal Health CEO Anette Kleiser in a press release. “Our vaccine is a breakthrough in protecting honeybees. We are ready to change how we care for insects, impacting food production on a global scale.”It would be a challenge to give shots to baby bees, so a dead version of the bacteria will be added to the food eaten by worker bees. Those bees then pass the vaccine into royal jelly, a milky secretion that is fed to the colony’s queen. From there, the vaccine will transfer to the queen’s ovaries, granting immunity to developing larvae.“This is an exciting step forward for beekeepers, as we rely on antibiotic treatment that has limited effectiveness and requires lots of time and energy to apply to our hives,” said Trevor Tauzer, a board member of the California State Beekeepers Association, in the company’s release.Honeybees pollinate everything from blueberries to avocados to agave. But bee populations are on the decline, potentially threatening the world’s food output and delicate ecosystems.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The USDA has granted a "conditional license" for a vaccine that will initiatially be available to commercial beekeepers. Any idea what the conditions are? In other words is it still in trials or is it approved for wide distribution? From what I read it is perhaps not a fait accompli.
don't know much about it, but if as the article says the queen passes it down to her eggs, eggs are where queens come from, if so, good chance once it's released Amibusiness and everyone else may have a chance to get it free. :)

· Premium Member
11,921 Posts
Moderator note: this thread is the merged result of two earlier threads, and now has a title that combines elements of both previous titles.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to Beesource!

· Registered
836 Posts
Yes unfortunately the benevolent scientists have zero respect for those who don't want their "help." Monsato did a poor job of keeping their patented corn pollen out of other's fields, some may argue purposefully. But the "benevolent" "scientists" and powers that be seem to feel it is right to spread their mischief into a population without the consent of the responsible adults..... It is a bit troubling. I wonder, if people may impose odd attributes on my livestock, maybe I could impose a 2 mile per hour speed limit on the state of NY? Seems like people no longer hold "live and let live" as an honorable goal....

· Registered
836 Posts
So it can be tricky to keep bees and politics separate. This is slightly off topic but some may see the relationship...
I just filled out the NAAS survey. I assume it is related to ccd based on some of the questions. Isn't that a thing of the past? "Cc'd: the thing that killed my bees when I was too lazy to figure out what it really was. But I like it this way because I can get a hefty govt handout to pay for my laziness...."
It is a quarterly survey, so Oct - Dec. I am in NY.
Some of the questions that seem dumb to me: how many of my colonies were affected by mites? (All) How many colonies got nucs or packages added to them or were requeened? (Umm, none.) How many experienced a weather related forage shortage? (All)
So based on this research or data, what exactly is going to help us?
The same people who bring us the safe and effective vaccines (but we can't sue them if they malfunction) also want to ban homeopathic meds unless they go through rigorous testing (even though no adverse side effects have been reported). I don't think anyone should be forced to take homeopathy, whether it is safe or not. I think anyone should be able to take a vaccine that they have been educated about, whether it's safe or not (informed consent). The same goes for my bees. Don't ram any meds or GMOs down my throat without my informed consent. And don't cook the data to "prove" anything to me.
And I recognize that the mods have a tough job. I hope this does not come across as too political or inflammatory or uncivil. If it is I understand it needs to be deleted.
I would find it unfortunate if we are not allowed to have a conversation about this before we have no choice whether our bees are affected by it or not.
Thanks beesource, thanks mods.

· Registered
67 Posts
So it can be tricky to keep bees and politics separate. This is slightly off topic but some may see the relationship...
I just filled out the NAAS survey. I assume it is related to ccd based on some of the questions. Isn't that a thing of the past? "Cc'd: the thing that killed my bees when I was too lazy to figure out what it really was. But I like it this way because I can get a hefty govt handout to pay for my laziness...."
It is a quarterly survey, so Oct - Dec. I am in NY.
Some of the questions that seem dumb to me: how many of my colonies were affected by mites? (All) How many colonies got nucs or packages added to them or were requeened? (Umm, none.) How many experienced a weather related forage shortage? (All)
So based on this research or data, what exactly is going to help us?
The same people who bring us the safe and effective vaccines (but we can't sue them if they malfunction) also want to ban homeopathic meds unless they go through rigorous testing (even though no adverse side effects have been reported). I don't think anyone should be forced to take homeopathy, whether it is safe or not. I think anyone should be able to take a vaccine that they have been educated about, whether it's safe or not (informed consent). The same goes for my bees. Don't ram any meds or GMOs down my throat without my informed consent. And don't cook the data to "prove" anything to me.
And I recognize that the mods have a tough job. I hope this does not come across as too political or inflammatory or uncivil. If it is I understand it needs to be deleted.
I would find it unfortunate if we are not allowed to have a conversation about this before we have no choice whether our bees are affected by it or not.
Thanks beesource, thanks mods.
I like how you have communicated. I’m still having a hard time how any of this gets dragged into the political arena. Some people think it’s science.
but vaccines in a bee colony. Wtf/!

· Registered
4,344 Posts
The announcement states:
"the disease, which in parts of the US has been found in a quarter of hives, requiring beekeepers to destroy and burn any infected colonies and administer antibiotics to prevent further spread."

The study refered to in the announcement describes a situation 100 years ago in which in some parts of the US it is claimed nearly a quarter of the hives carried the bacterium.

Becsuse of these types of "reporting" tactics I read this as nothing more than advertising copy so buyer or believer beware.

· Registered
4,344 Posts
gee I was looking at the positive side, "The vaccine, which will initially be available to commercial beekeepers, aims to curb foulbrood, " , with the commercial beeks jumping on the bandwagon and them being the major supplier of nucs in NY, I figure we can get rid of the bee inspectors and that Illegal law they are running under, since the reason for the law was controlling AFB. :) But on a lighter side, everyone that is not a fan had better start raising their own queens because I have no doubt the queen breeders will use it, gives them a really good advertisement when selling.
Commercial demons, illegal laws, buying in based on one "source"? Come on now.
Someone once said
“You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.”

· Registered
9,098 Posts
I felt that this piece of PR was an attempt at self fulfilling prophesy. Achieve acceptance before it was actually open for serious consideration.. deflect any opposition before it even appeared etc. First I heard of it and it appears as if a done deal. I question what nuance may be in the words "conditional license"! I dont have objections to the concept of vaccines in general but I would want to hear more about the degree of scrutiny that went into this product. I remember the horrors of Thalidomide! A vivid example of a hasty solution to a problem manageable without such possible unknown long term results.

This may be good but I sure as heck want to hear a lot more about it before I vote for it.:rolleyes:

· Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,841 Posts
I felt that this piece of PR was an attempt at self fulfilling prophesy. Achieve acceptance before it was actually open for serious consideration.. deflect any opposition before it even appeared etc. First I heard of it and it appears as if a done deal. I question what nuance may be in the words "conditional license"! I dont have objections to the concept of vaccines in general but I would want to hear more about the degree of scrutiny that went into this product. I remember the horrors of Thalidomide! A vivid example of a hasty solution to a problem manageable without such possible unknown long term results.

This may be good but I sure as heck want to hear a lot more about it before I vote for it.:rolleyes:
right agree
AND will there be a way to get queens with out the Vaccine.
should be a choice, like in my body my choice, My Apiary My choice.
and what is the 2nd ,3rd, 4th,5th generation effects from the Jabbed mother queen.

Seems I recall a birth control, FDA approved that had many daughters steril.

Because we can, should we?

GG

P.S. hats off to the MODs as the politics becomes entwined with what we can and cannot do with/for bees, it will get more difficult. The legal OA and the Canada issue all have politics involved. maybe time for a new category, like tailgater. threads with or with out politics. threads about propolis envelope, sure no need for politics, threads about bee import export, politics is in there. its like talking about a muddy river where only the water can be discussed and not the dirt.
:)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts