Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added supers on my 4 hives around March 25. I checked on them a couple of weeks later and everything was looking normal. My hives are deep,shallow, then honey super.
I checked again this past Friday to see if i needed to add another and on one hive there was no honey but pollen and also 2 queen cells, one capped and the other open and also what looked like capped drone comb.
What could be going on here, I've never seen a queen cell in my added super? Could this mean that their getting ready to swarm? Or just replacing the old queen?

Thanks Bobby

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Where are the queen cells on the frames? Supercedure cells are usually in the center of the frame because there is no queen present to kill her own replacement. If the queen cells are near the bottom, they are likely swarm cells. The old queen knows she is getting a new home soon, not killed like the middle queen cells.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas of this.
Americas B, the queen cells are in the top part of the super.
I haven't checked since Sunday to see the status and it's raining here today so I may can check tomorrow to see if anything has happened.
Bobby

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I'd update this in case anyone else ran into it. The queen cell in my upper ( 2nd) super was a swarm cell, they swarmed yesterday and gathered on a large branch about 16 feet up a tree. My 12 foot step ladder and me standing on top, I can just barely reach them with a brush and bucket.
I sprayed them with a little sugar water and brushed them in a bucket, poured them in a nuc with drawn comb just to see them gather on the large limb about 15 min later. This happened twice late yesterday. I thought I brushed most of them in so I don't know what happened but kind of hard to do so high up and them wrapped around the large limb.
I put a home made swarm catcher ( old styrofoam ice chest) right next to them this morning before work hoping they would go in today.
Any one else had this happen?

Thanks Bobby

·
Registered
142 Posts
If the bees keep going back to the branch you probably didnt get the queen when you brushed the bees into the bucket.
It's critical to get the queen when doing a swarm because the bees will stay wherever the queen is.
when we hive swarms we use the metal lid from the top of a hive they are ideal because they hold alot of bees and are quite wide so not much spillage,
kiwi

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Swarm

I just wanted to share this experience with others that may run into it.
I had a hive swarm last Thursday. I tried 2 times to brush them off a large limb into a bucket and pour them into a Nuc. I wasn't successful on either attempt in getting the queen as they went back to the limb.
I came home Friday at lunch and they were all on the ground but thankfully on a large bed sheet that I had put down the day before.
I put the Nuc next to them but after a hour or so, only a few had gone in. Not being real great at spotting a queen, I saw one bee that looked different but not like the photo's that I had saw of a queen.
Tried to chase her toward to Nuc but she wouldn't have no part of it. Then I got as cup and just scooped up her and a few bees and poured them in.
All the rest except a few marched right in. those few stayed outside in rain the next day until I scoped them in.

Bobby

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have caught three swarms so far this year. All have been on the small side, two of them I was able to find the queen and I used one of those hair clip style queen catchers to catch her and then I used a rubber band to hold her on a frame. This has worked out very well. Last time I didn't have time to give them any brood to help hold them in the new home so I just left old girl in the queen catcher for 24hrs and then released her. I'm sure it would be almost impossible to find her in a large swarm but, they don't cost much so they are nice to have around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts