Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I saw this in the apex of my neighbor's shed today. In my many decades of life and several years of beekeeping, I have never seen anything like this. It appears to be made out wood and is extremely fragile. At first, I thought maybe carpenter bees but online research pretty well ruled that out. Yellow jackets nest in the ground and I've never seen a wasp nest like this. Maybe the start of a bald faced hornet's nest? Unfortunately, we didn't notice the nest until today so we have no idea what kind of critter made or inhabited. Give the size of the cells, it was fairly large, much larger than a wasp. We have European Hornets in our area but it doesn't look anything like their nests that I have seen before.

Anyone seen anything like this before and/or ideas of what kind of critter made it?

Attachments

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
Bald face hornets or European hornets. Yellow jackets also build large paper nest also, not always in the ground.
Carpenter bees are just that, bees. They are pollinators, if you did out their nest you will find lots of pollen for the larva to eat. Wasp will be bringing in "meat" type protein (spiders, other larva, etc.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts