Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Naperville, IL everyone. Second year beekeeper here.

Question on using nemotodes (Hb + Sc + Sf) for treatment of SHB and other beetle grubs.

My 4-hive bee yard is in my backyard I don't treat lawn with anything.

Nemotodes safe to use around hives?

Thx, all

·
Registered
144 Posts
From everything I've read & seen on YouTube, the only thing the nematodes can possibly harm are insects during their soil-dwelling, larval-stage. I haven't personally used them, but many of my trusted organic gardening sources highly recommend them. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya they’ve got to live in their media, and they’re passive hunters. I know there’s some folks on here that said they were going to try them, but I’ve never heard a report back.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The biggest problem with using nematodes, and this coming from a woman that gave a presentation on growing your own to combat SHB, is that many of the places selling them are selling dead ones. The only way to tell is to infect a larva and see if it turns red. She uses wax moth larvae because they are larger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We use them against fleas and chiggers here in Rockwall, Texas -just east of Dallas. Put them out in early spring during damp weather, a heavy dew is good also. Seem to work really well. You can check viability of nematodes with a microscope. They need to stay refrigerated until you use them - check expiration date on package when you buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts