Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a question. Tonight at church I asked if my neighbor was missing any bees of the newly aquired hives is losing bees, since my wasp/hornet/moth trap, which I replaced is getting a lot of mostly black bees and was asked in return if my girls were capping yet. Evidently my neighbors hives are.

My bees are still bringing in pollen and nectar like gangbusters. The golden rod is full as are the aster blooms. Capped pollen and honey has stayed about 50% capped average. Drones are leaving about 1230pm and returning about 3:00-3:30. From 4:00 - 4:30 drones are taking short flights and when they are done newbees are doing orientation flights. All checked out by guard bees on return. In other words, business as usual.

Is this normal that one or three hives about a hundred feet away from another hive be at different points of preperation. Where the other hive kicked out drone a while ago and mine are still taking mating flights and fed at the entrance?

I don't think it matters, but, the other hives face southwest with a privacy fence behind them and are pretty well shaded morning and late afternoon. My hive faces south-southeast and has a privacy fence about ten feet in front and a shed right behind it with sun most of the morning and early afternoon. We have been seventires day and fifty - sixties night. Thanks!

Is this something to learn about, as in strange? Or just shaddap and enjoy?

David

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When you say his are capping and yours are not, do you mean as in Capped honey/nectar? Your are bringing in nectar and his have capped? Or capped brood?

And if one is in shade and the other two face the morning sun, wouldn't you expect the shaded hive to button up for winter earlier?

If capped meant capped honey I'd bee real interested in how much room they both have to store more nectar.

Hawk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Notaclue,

And you will observe as time goes by that each hive progresses differently. One hive may produce loads of surplus honey while another 3 feet away with the same amount of bees does nothing. Just the way it goes.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts