Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to put my new hive in my front yard against the house but then thought better of it due to my neighbor. I don't want anyone to notice it that much. Even though I put a reed fence around it, it's the neighborhood kids I am worried about.

So I decided to put it in my back yard by the 8' fence (yes, 8 foot, not 6 foot).
But I just learned today that the guy who bought the old 1 story house behind me is either going to tear it all down and put up 2 floors or just add another floor on what is there. Which ever, it is construction. There is one guy there now tearing out the guts of it so I am guessing just adding the 2nd floor on to what is there.

My back deck is 15' from said Fence. Their foundation (they can't go any closer) is about the same distance, 15'

I have not gotten the bees yet, thank gawd.
I could put them in the front but the 'war' between me and the neighbor across the street is getting a little more heated so I want to cool that down. Personally I would like the whole hive to sting her, her **** kids and the barking dogs but then again I don't want to lose a hive either.

How much Ruckus can a hive take before they start to get pissy to anything that walks by ?:scratch:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Unless there are HOA rules or city/county ordinances about hives, I wouldn't worry about it. Bees respond more to their hive being jostled than loud noises or barking dogs.
As a side note, I found that if a neighbor is complained to about kids, dogs, etc., they will find a reason to complain about you. Don't respond to arguments and just live your life. If you are breaking ordinances, you will find out about it soon enough.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't put a lot of thought into it. Put the hive in your backyard so you can work it in privacy and face the opening south bees don't care how many stories your neighbor has. Buy some window shades so the neighbor can't watch you now from his 2nd story :) that will be your biggest problem.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No ordinances here to break so. Not worried about that part. More worried about vibration and construction right behind the hive.
Bees will have to face East no matter front or back. It's just the only way I can place them.
Keeping them in the back will be so much better and yes more private. No one will see them as I am the only 2 story around and my 8 ' tall fence will block the new 2 story behind 😀

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
15 feet from said house & 8ft fence, worry not, no vibrations will reach to upset your hives. Great call not to put them in the front yard;)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Have you met the hive? There are some hives I would not want 15 feet from my house let alone a neighbors!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
No one has met the hive:D There shouldn’t be any “ruckus” from that distance to make them pissy. You will never be able to please everyone.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I think that you are right to be concerned.

·
Registered
737 Posts
As far as noise and vibration they should be fine.
My son does a fireworks show right in front of 10 of my hives on July 4.
The trailer is about 20' from them.
It usually last 1/2 hr to 45 minuets and we have had no problems from them.
I have even worked them the next day just to see how they would react.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I might be a little nervous about construction. The noise/vibrations, probably not that big of a deal. But I have seen bees get super freaked out by exhaust fumes due to their carbon dioxide content. It is good to be considerate of your neighbors, even if you don't like them too much. Non-beekeepers can be pretty stupid as well when it comes to bees.

Are you a member of the Middlesex Beekeepers Association or the Boston Area Beekeepers Association? If you are still nervous about neighbors and bees, a resource many bee clubs provide are out yard locations, pieces of land to raise your bees on for free that are in a less congested area than suburbia.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I think that you are right to be concerned.
I agree. I’d consider postponing for a year. Hate to have someone on the roof get stung because they happened to be in a direct flight path.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I will just put them in front. I have a small fence that blocks them from view of someone just walking by.
Flight path is up and out 50' from road- and the yard dips there so they would be flying about 10 over the road. On the side they are about 25' from road.
I live on a corner so the back side is another 25' from another house.

If the neighbors see I don't care. Maybe they will stay further away :banana:
I don't want to wait another year as I have already waited since 2015. I am not sure when I will be able to buy a house if at all this year. I have been looking very hard, c'est la vie.

BTW, the neighbor that would complain will not call police or anyone as I have video ( I have cameras) of her kids doing 'bad things' and she knows it- 2 years ago I had a Come to Jesus moment with her. That's the is the second they stopped, they don't even walk on my side of the street :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts