Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a subdivision and have a couple of my hives in my back yard.

Today, a neighbor came over and asked me to come take a look at some bees at his house across the street. The garage door was open and there were about 15-20 honey bees flying in his garage. They were paying particular attention to his garage door - especially the hinges and metal braces that stretch across the door. I saw bees fly into a couple of holes in the hinges and then leave out the other side.

There were no two bees together, as if they were trying to occupy a certain spot. The garage had them equally dispersed. They would fly, land, take off to another spot (or door hardware) and land, just to repeat the process. She had a couple inside of her car as the windows were down.

What gives? Did one bee find a good spot for a swarm and give vague directions? Today is day two of the random bees in the open garage.

bee garage.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Are you sure they're honey bees? The reason I ask is, I got a call yesterday from a friend that said she had "a lot" of honey bees around her garden shed. I went and looked and there were a dozen or so small bees behaving like you describe; some kind of solitary bee, I think.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
If they seem focused on holes between about 3/16 to 3/8th of an inch they are most likely mason bees of some sort. Egg laying locations. I have had them plug ends of copper tubing, propane tank outlets, etc.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I've seen leafcutter bees behaving in that way. They also occupy anything with a hole in it - copper pipes and similar - they then make a nest in those holes using cuttings from leaves. I only realised what they were after I noticed a small leaf flying through the air ... against the wind. :)
LJ

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think that's what's going on. You don't dare leave a 3/8" to 3/16" piece of tubing open for any length of time in my area. Leafcutters use leaves and Masons use mud. Many 22cal rifles have rings in the bore near the muzzle from the rascals.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure they're honey bees?
Dang, guys. You really have me wondering now. I'll go look again, but I've got lots of experience with HBs. I'd be shocked if they aren't, but on the other hand I was trying to keep 6 feet between me and my neighbor - maybe I was distracted enough to goof up.

I'll report back! :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are you sure they're honey bees?
Dang, guys. You really have me wondering now. I'll go look again, but I've got lots of experience with HBs. I'd be shocked if they aren't, but on the other hand I was trying to keep 6 feet between me and my neighbor - maybe I was distracted enough to goof up.

I'll report back!
Your picture sure does look like HB to me. Similar experience with 8 or 10 flying around under an eve yesterday. These were just looking. Put a swarm trap out!!

Maybe your neighbor used lemongrass oil to oil her garage door hinges! 😆😂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts