Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago today, I started 4 new hives from packages. The first three were doing great. Queens laying, etc...but when I got to the fourth hive I found no eggs and could not find the queen. The thing that puzzled me was the hive "acted like" it was "queenright." Well, I went back inside my house to call my package bee supplier...when I asked for a particular person that I usually deal with, I was told she was with a customer and was asked if I wanted to hold or call back. I said, I'd call back. It was lunchtime so I went out to eat a bite of lunch, and afterward thought I'd add some sugar syrup to my hive top feeders as all 4 of them were very low. I added syrup to each of the first three hives...then...when I got to the 4th I noticed a large number of bees gathered inside the hive top feeder just to the side of the feeder...sure enough...there was the queen! Somehow she had gotten trapped inside the hive top feeder...and was unable to return to the hive body below. I lifted the plastic pan out of the hive top feeder and allowed her and the other bees to merely walk back downstairs to the main hive body.

It seems the bees are always teaching me new lessons if I will only pay attention. For now at least, I don't need a queen. :applause: I'll check that hive again in a few days to see if shes doing ok...and yes...I will check the hivetop feeder to see that it is tight.

Oh and by the way...I am glad the person at the bee supply dealer was with a customer and that I had decided to "call back" later. That decision saved me about 20 bucks for a hive that really didn't need a new queen after all.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
All good things come to those who wait. :)

Good to hear. What type of HTF are you using? Good thing she didn't dround in the syrup. If she was on that side of it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hambone,
I was using the new hive top feeder from Walter T. Kelley Co. It is like a small super with a plastic pan in the middle. The pan has a lid on it so bees can't access the syrup pan except from coming up inside/underneath via the hive body below it. However, the feeder super does have about an inch or two of space inside it around the plastic feeder pan...that's where she was! Other than this issue with this one feeder...I've had very positive results using the new Kelly Hivetop feeders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts