Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well, I need to vent my hives a little too...wife told me that one hive (4 deeps) was so covered with bees that you could only see the top body, and even that one had some bees on it.
But I'm talking about haters. I had a fellow beek from my job call me up only to basically cuss me out. I had 3 hives in Feb, as did she. Now she's got 15, mostly from splits, while I had 47, but down to 45 since I sold a couple. She asked how I was getting so many, and I was hesitant to go into it. She asked if I capped swarms, I told her yes. She asked if I was on the local bee stores swarm list, I said yes. She asked if I charge for swarms, I told her if I have to drive a good distance, yes. "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSE TO GO OUTTA YOUR AREA TO GET SWARMS! YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO CHARGE FOR THEM, YOU'RE GETTING FREE BEES! I'M GOING TO CALL AND REPORT YOU TO THE BEE STORE!" Good lord lady, don't blow a gasket! For the most part, I have been getting most of my bees thru wall extractions, but tried to tell her that I can go WHERE I want and charge fuel $ IF I want. I may be on the bee stores list, but that's not where my calls come from, I have only gotten 1 call from the bee store's list and didn't end up getting the bees. Not suppose to charge?? You're providing a service to them. Do not pest control companies come out and charge if they deal with it?? If the bees are close, I don't mind doing it for nothing, but with fuel @ $3 + per gal for diesel and driving sometime 75 + miles one way, if someone offers me $ for fuel, which sometimes they offer it right up front knowing I'm coming a distance, other times they offer after I have taken care of the bees, am I just suppose to say "no"? It's my time, not her's, its my truck that I used to get there, not her's. They offer, I'm gonna take it.
She's heard how busy I have been and how quickly I have grown, and all I can think is "hater." I could care less about the bee stores "list" and being on it since that's not where I am getting my business. But dang, really?

Anyone else come across hateful people like this?

Craig

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nope, but then again I don't live in CA. No offense.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
There are a lot of angry people in this world. Thankfully, most are not in beekeeping. I think the best approach is to send her a jar of honey with a note saying "I'm sending this to you in hopes that by eating it you will have a sweeter out look on life." :D Or just ignore her, but venting is good...that's what we are here for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I charge all the time. Its a service. Its my time and my time = money. Alot of times the swarms don't take . I charge 50 bucks and I feel thats very cheap. Other companies who would serve my area charge upwards of 500 bucks. I could spend my time splitting or tending to my own colonies but im out here shaking a swarm into a box 20' feet up on a wobbly ladder . its worth the money.

also i went to the co academy in Galt. Wonderful place.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dont charge for swarms, but I also only except those that are relatively close to home. I will charge for a cutout if/when I do them.
The one that cracks me up is some new beek on craigslist is offereing $20 for swarm locations, figure I should call him up get my money and then when he gets there and no bees just say sorry they must have left already. The other ones that crack me up are the ones that claim anywhere in the state for free.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was just in the Dadant store in Paris, TX when this guy walks up to the counter and says he has a friend that just moved into an apt. with a hive of bees in the wall. He said "I've come to just give them to you". The lady behind the counter just smiled and said "we don't do that, would you like somebody's name"?

Haters are going to hate and they are very easy to spot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The one that cracks me up is some new beek on craigslist is offereing $20 for swarm locations, figure I should call him up get my money and then when he gets there and no bees just say sorry they must have left already.
Might not be a new beek. Our club has an experienced keeper who offers $25 for swarms on CL, then puts them in a ten-frame deep with inexpensive top and bottom and offers them back on CL for $200 when they are established.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bradley, exactly the way I see it, we are providing a service. One person's pest is another person's hobby or job. There is NO reason that we shouldn't be paid if we can be. I bet she's being a hypocrite too, if someone offered her $, she'd probably take it. With no respect intended, it's probably her attitude that is keeping people from calling her, let alone pay her. When you come off like she does, why would you want to help that person out?
Hambone, you're killing me! ;)
I just got home from picking up a bird house that the bees had made a hive out of. It was a pest control company that cut the bird house down and said he would have it at his house waiting for me after work. What next, she gonna call the pest guys boss to let him know this guy worked after hours? Gonna call the National Audubon Society and report that he cut a bird house down? Maybe call the ACLU to let them know the bees are going to be evicted tomorrow without proper advance notice???
Like they said on Facebook...whatta bee-otch!
The bird house is kinda cool, looks like they've been in there for a little while, its kind of on the small side though. I'll have to take some pics in the AM.

Craig

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
You could turn it around on her. By performing a service for free she is devaluing the service and making it that much harder for you to put food on your table. How would she like it if a bunch of hobbyists decided that what she does for a living (if she does anything for a living) should be free just because they enjoy doing it?

If you want to do something for free - it could be catching a swarm, building a deck, replacing a water heater, whatever - that's fine, free country and all that - but it does impact people who are trying to make a living from those jobs. Just because some people are willing to work for free doesn't make it a moral issue, and if it did one could argue that she's on the wrong side of it.

Besides IMO "free bees" is not usually an accurate description.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
TANSTAAFL....

I'd imagine if all I had to do was to go out and shake a swarm off of a tree, I wouldn't accept more than a glass of lemonade, (This IS the South after all..) however, if I have to get in a crawlspace or attic or disassemble a wall...likely to be some labor charges involved...

I do airbrush art on the side...you wouldn't BELIVE the amount of haters in that community....

·
Registered
507 Posts
I do cutouts to increase the hives in my bee yard. With all the work, heat exhaustion, bee stings, drive time to the site, cost in fuel, equipment, etc. ... trust me, the bees are not "free".

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TANSTAAFL....

I'd imagine if all I had to do was to go out and shake a swarm off of a tree, I wouldn't accept more than a glass of lemonade, (This IS the South after all..) however, if I have to get in a crawlspace or attic or disassemble a wall...likely to be some labor charges involved...

I do airbrush art on the side...you wouldn't BELIVE the amount of haters in that community....
If you drove say 75 miles one way to go get a swarm in a tree and the people offered to give you $20-$40 for fuel or something, you'd tell them "no"? 75 miles x 2 = 150 miles 150 / 16 mpg = 9.3 gal x $3.25 for a gal of diesel = $30.47 in fuel costs alone, not to mention 3 hours of your time lost from doing other things like spending it with the family on your day off, building more hive equipment etc...
I don't demand $. I don't ask for it unless asked first. If someone says "how much do I owe you?" I generally say if I can just get some fuel $ I would appreciate it. If they ask how much would I like? I just tell them whatever they feel is fair, I just drove X amount of miles....Most people are happy to have the bees gone. I had one lady, when she asked how much would I want to come get it, I told her fuel $ would be nice. She said how much fuel do you think? I said $20 would be good. When I got there, she said $20? I said that be great, she gave me $50. Most peole know your getting something out of this, but also realize that your putting something into it, your time and $ too. IT'S A BUSINESS. The pest control companies will charge them $75 on up to spray them in a tree....if they give you $20, $30, even $40, they are $ ahead of where they would have been for a solution that IS NOT 100% guaranteed.

Craig

·
Registered
288 Posts
One thing to consider is liability should you or the person you are helping gets hurt. Charging money can put it into the business law world and open you up to litigation(or more litigation :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just by selling honey, you've entered the business world. There's liability there too...you sell it, someone gets sick from it or has an allerigic reaction....there's a chance they might come after you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
yep, i agree with that, just need to understand the risk should you get sued vs. the amount of money you might make. as a hobbiest it doesnt work out for me at least but it probably would if i had more hives and so more to sell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts