Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 wild captured swarm.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three weeks ago today, my first try at swarm traps produced results and I have a hive of thriving bees. The swarm trap was a shallow super with a black dot on the end and a few 5/8" holes drilled into it placed under a deep super full of frames. I didn't have any high areas to put it, so I put it on a brick column out near our barn.

After a couple of days, I transitioned them to a hive stand and left them in place to get used to the change. They're working like crazy building comb and new brood will be climbing out in the next week or so. I inspected the hive last Sunday and all seems well. Honey stores are present. Capped brood. A healthy looking queen. They are getting close to having filled the inner 6 frames of a 10 frame super and when they brood hatches and become a productive part of the colony, I can only see the population growing which leaves me with a problem.

The hive is about 5 feet off of the ground and managing supers and frames that high up will become problematic meaning that I need to move the hive. We do have SHB in the area as I've killed 2 that I've found so far and put in a CD case trap so I want to avoid shaded areas. I also am trying to keep them from late afternoon sunlight. We don't get real hot here but I want it to be placed where temperature is easier to manage.

I'll likely go with the grass in the entry way and a board or other distraction out front.
Any extra advice?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do you have another box, bottom board, and top? Even with the grass/brush/board some bees go back and if you have an empty hive there they'll just go in that and you can dump them back at the real hive.

If not, then I'd suggest moving them to a friend/family members house a few miles away for maybe 2 days and then back to whatever place you want them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How did you end up having this 5 feet off the ground? Is there a reason for this? (Might help to understand before saying something. I am not against roof top hives or other ideas, provided they are sturdily set up.)

·
Registered
1 wild captured swarm.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what my swarm traps look like. This one was on our wood shelter and was attracting a lot of bees. Empty box beneath deep super full of frames. I read where swarms like room and are reluctant to move into a hive body that is full of frames so the concept of an empty box under a super full of frames made sense to me.

1623322255939.png

I had an identical trap on a pillar near our barn. They moved in here and hung off of the bottom of the frames for a couple of days before transferring the super to a hive base.

I'm going to move them about 80' and do the grass and board trick. Late in the day, if there are still bees returning to this spot, I'll put a base up there with an empty shallow super on it and relocate them over night. I've read where it is best to not put something there during the day as they might not go seeking the hive.
I've been reluctant to move them as they've been working so well.
Still learning.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,765 Posts
do you have a place more than 3 miles away you can use for 2-3 weeks?

easy way is move them far and wait a few weeks then move them back.

80 feet is going mess them up a bit.

GG

·
Registered
1 wild captured swarm.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went ahead and did the move on Saturday night. I had some dried pampas grass nearby and used it to block the entrance a bit. I also leaned a 2x4 in front of the entrance.
The next morning a bit after sunrise I pulled more of the pampas grass out of the entrance and they were a bit disoriented. Many started flying around the immediate area and by the end of the day things were settling down. In the late afternoon, there were a couple dozen bees flying around the old location so near dark, I put a base there with an empty shallow super and lid and they started crawling inside. In the very early morning hours, I took the base, super and lid and put it near the new hive. It had a whopping 3 bees in it.
Bees from the main hive are flying in and out and some are coming back with pollen. Only a few bees at the old location.

I think that the grass that I use had some kind of natural sap or resin on it. There are quite a few bees crawling around the front like they're licking something from the surface.

I need to do an inspection to see if they've expanded enough to add another deep hive body and to pay more attention to what I'm seeing in there. Also to pull the hive beetle trap and rebait it. I killed another one today that had fallen through the screen and was acting puny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts