Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago i made a lot of medium supers using cypress I aquired. I have a stack of them stored away. I hope to have a need for all of them one day and that's why I made them. Right now I am in need of deeps. I still have plenty of cypress 1X material and I'd like to add the required depth to several mediums. I know all about the fancy joinery etc but this is just something to get the right depth-I'm not looking to make cabinet grade boxes. I was thinking of using corrugated fasteners but am rethinking these because I'd have to nail them into the boxes that are built which would require a support that allowed the box to surround it. Like an anvil or something. Pocket screws are another idea but I'm looking for other alternatives.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
You want to join two boards together to make one wider board. You will need either a biscuit cutter, or doweling jig along with wood glue.

With a biscuit cutter, you cut small groves into the edges of both boards then you glue the biscuit and the edges of the boards together and clamp them over night.

With a doweling jig you drill a series of holes in the edge of each board, glue dowels and the edge of the board and clamp.

The trick is to get your biscuit cuts and or dowels in the same alignment so the boards join together as close as possible.

You will need a planer to plane the boards to the same thickness after you are done. This step could be omitted if your biscuits and or dowels are spot on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your makingbhisbtoo hard on yourself. Just make another box to tmake the space up and stick it on the bottom. Then if you find yourself in need of mediums you still have them. .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Make a bunch of 3" spacers. The ones you don't need to turn mediums into deeps, you can use in other ways such as top spacers (for bag-feeding your bees), or throwing them on the ground to set hive boxes on when you are inspecting. You can make the 3" spacers the same way yuo do your boxes (short-end rabbets or just butt joints).

I wouldn't glue these pieces to the medium boxes unless you are 110% sure you never want to use them as mediums again. I do this because everyone who sells nucs sells them as deeps. This allows me to use the deep frames in a medium box, with the ability to clean out the deep frames and convert them to all mediums.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I agree with just making up shims and then not gluing them together.....actually the bees will glue them for you and after a few days if you want to get them apart you will have to pry them apart!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts