Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is coming off of the small cell forum. O.K. I'm listeneng to some of the most respected beeks on Beesource. But I don't have a clue how to go foundationless. I understand that you use no foundation, but that is as far as most beeks knowledge goes. So here are some questions. Can this be done with most wooden frames? Do you use wire for support, and if so how? Do you use no foundation in your supers as well? It would seem that you would use foundation in the supers because of slinging/extracting, and the queen shouldn't be laying in them anyway. What kind of maintenance,and when should you expect to do it on the brood nest? Man this would end the argument on checkerboarding. Won't it?:scratch:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have most of my hives on small cell now. I also have started going foundationless, however, in my experience the only way I get my bees to draw out the comb straight is to put a sheet of foundation or a frame of drawn comb in every other frame and use starter strips in the frames between. So, the first frame is a starter strip, the next is a full sheet of foundation or a frame with comb, the next is a starter strip, the next a full sheet of foundation in a frame or drawn comb and you get the picture by now...

I make sure my hive is level...

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
A comb guide or simply place a foundationless frame between two frames of drawn comb that are properly spaced.

For example, if you put a foundationless frame with no comb guide in between two frames of brood, the bees draw it out just fine. (or has been my experience.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts