Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In central NC...lots of pollen coming in.

After an inspection last week, I hurriedly put a medium on top of a two deep hive to try and prevent a swarm. They were both pretty full so I immediately went out and bought enough new equipment for an attempt at splitting.

I have since decided to wait for the split and try to harvest some honey.

Question: Should I add the new deep on top of the medium, switch some frames and exclude it so it becomes the honey super? Or, should I put it under the medium? Remove the medium altogether? I have another medium I can use later if nec. Either way, I'll switch frames to break up the brood pattern to hopefully prevent a swarm.

Yes, I will inspect the frames before I exclude.

Also, should I feed now to help them draw comb?

Thanks,
Ed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not sure I'd add anymore deeps. I'd just add as many mediums as they can fill. Then when you are ready to do a split, you can use the deep(s) that you got for another hive.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Seems like you have several options.
Is it early enough in your season to do a split, and still get a honey crop from your "parent" hive? (The hive where the old queen remains). If so, you have two options:
1. Make a 5 frame nuc split, keeping majority of colony at the parent site, get a crop from them. Introduce new queen to nuc. Nuc MIGHT build up to give you a small crop if you feed heavily.
2. Make split as above, let the nuc raise a new queen, won't get any honey from nuc.

In addition, you could do swarm control and super, and probably get a good crop.
Keep us posted, please.
Steven

1 - 3 of 3 Posts