Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to get some help with spacing as I hope to mark my boxes on frame center so that I get them in right till I get the hang of it. I am planing on using follower boards and 1 1/4 frames, in 10 frame boxes.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a new keeper I use 9 frames in a ten frame hive body. I just try to keep them evenly spaced. My bees don't seem to mind and are doing great!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
just space them all an even distance apart, the bees wont care if the center frame is off a little to the left or right.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Use your hive tool and just press the frames together prying from first one side then the other. This will center them and space them properly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If your talking about undrawn frames don't space them. Keep them tight together or you'll end up with a lot of bridge comb. For brood comb the same thing applies as spacing isn't needed. The only reason to space frames is for ease of working in the brood area or to leave room for them to pull out previously drawn honey frames wider for easier uncapping.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Hello, I am looking to get some help with spacing as I hope to mark my boxes on frame center so that I get them in right till I get the hang of it.

I don't follow. You think you need a mark for the center of each frame? The frames have spacers on them right? That's what the spacers are for.

> I am planing on using follower boards and 1 1/4 frames, in 10 frame boxes.

Then push them tightly together in the middle. In other words push them tight to one side and then back until the space on each side is even.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replys, I was not sure as pushed together it seemed like a lot of room on the sides.

·
Registered
760 Posts
there will be a lot of room but after a year of running bees the frames will swell a littler (each) and before long you will be wishing you had more space

just press and center them --

also ....some one said to run 9 frames in a 10 frame box .... this works but ONLY with drawn frames - otherwise you will have burr comb until the cows come home

so ten frames until they have them drawn out

think of a bee hive as a grocery store .... the iles are spaced for 2 carts to fit through without hitting - too narrow and it causes backups - too wide and its a waste of space (which gets filled with buckets of discout toys for the kids)

bees are the same why but if its to wide the put brace comb in there

hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts