Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie here. I bought 4 hives last week and brought them home. Today I could not find eggs in 3 of the 4 and those same 3 all have queen cells with at least 1 hive having a capped queen cell. They are more defensive than I would like and was planing on re queening in the fall. Should I see if anyone has some queens ASAP or just let them raise there own? My plan was to split the hives latter but not sure if that can happen now.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Contact the person you purchased them from. Sounds like they stiffed you or the queens were killed while you were transporting them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Answer to your question depends on a lot of things. Some people will tell you to always buy queens for more certainty over genetics and successfull mating (from a good queen breeder). Some will tell you to let them raise their own.

It will be about 5 to 6 more weeks before the offspring of queens raised by your colony start to emerge from their cells. You can shorten that a bit to about 4 weeks (including order time and introduction of new queens) if you buy them. There could always be acceptance issues--especially if they are already raising their own queens.

Personally, I would let them raise queens. I think that process is one of the most fascinating things in nature and one of the most fun parts of beekeeping. I love to find the queen cells, see the one that is opened neatly around the bottom and the others torn apart, trying to find the slender virgin queen, and then go back a couple of weeks later to find her well fed, and laying thousands of eggs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts