Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some ideas. I recently did a cutout (hive #8) and put it in the beeyard. There are about 2K-3K worth of bees that have clustered on the bottom (underneath side) of the screen bottom board of the hive right next to them.

I sprayed them with sugar water the other day and brushed them all onto a board and back into the correct hive.

I did the same just now, today. I was really surprised and stunned. So, I sprayed them with sugar water again and brushed them onto a wide piece of plywood and put them back into the correct hive. I messed around with the hives for about 45 minutes and as I was about to leave, I looked back over to the hives. To my surprise, they were right back in the same clumps, clods and numbers as before.

I am at a loss.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
My hives with sbb's do the same thing. I theorize that it is field bees passing nectar thru the screen to the nurse bees above. I also theorize it is bees somehow regulating the air flow by blocking off the sbb, perhaps under brood frames that are in the bottom box.

Are you thinking this is from bees from your cutout bees next door? I kinda doubt it, if that is what you are thinking. I doubt it because if the bees wished to leave their cutout hive, (which is their own family so I doubt it, but could be if they have a failing or injured queen?), I think they'd be more likely to be begging their way in the front door.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe no queen? Maybe 1/2 of my cutouts never 'get it together' and I have to combine them with other colonies. Clumps of them will hang around the outside of the hive box, under the SBB or on the ground. I think the moving process is hard on them, and it can be like forcing a square peg in a round hole. Maybe a 1/4 of them hit the ground running, seemingly without any issues.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would concure with floridabee. My cut outs sometimes have a hard time adjusting and get going again, while others are in hogh gear from the start. Usually the ones with the queens present and uninjured are the ones in high gear, and the ones that dont ususally are making a new queen.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of two things going on. Bees still affected/disoriented from cut out. Did you use bee go or honey robber at any phase?

No queen, virgin queen. With some bees their desire is strong to be with a laying queen.

...JP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts