Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im just getting started in this and i hope that this is the right place to stick this thread but i have a question. Im planning on building my own hives and i was looking at the 10 Frame Langstroth Beehive. I cant find exactly how many frames i actually need to make to accompany it. Is it 10 frames for each Level? or 10 frames all together in which case how many of each level? Thanks for any help.

-Ian

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Each deep box holds ten frames. So if you have two deeps you will need 20 frames.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
As alpha6 said, the 10 frame hive really implies that each box holds 10 frames in each. If you had two brood boxes and one honey super, you'd have 30 frames in your hive.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I too make almost all my own equipment, except the frames. You might want to get some bee catalogues, and price the frames, compared to what you can buy the lumber and make them. Many of us find it more cost effective, both in $ and time, to buy the frames. It can be tedious enough assembling them, even with a frame nailing jig.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Many of us find it more cost effective, both in $ and time, to buy the frames. It can be tedious enough assembling them, even with a frame nailing jig.
And then, some of us enjoy the pleasant wood work.

Ian, if you didn't see it, there are plans for Dadant frames in the same section where the hive bodies are.

Wayne

·
Registered
119 Posts
At this point for you it would be nice to join a bee club if you have one close. You could go out and take a look at what they have. Find out how and why they do things. you can get a lot of questions answered face to face with complete understanding.
Welcome to the hobby I know you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I build all my supers, bottom boards, inner, and telescoping covers. I have tried my hand at frames, but I am not too happy with the results, (except the frames for cutouts). But they are right so join a club, get into a yard, get your hands dirty, and you will better understand why you need what you need.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Green tree,
If you are looking for plans, on the home page there are available several plans to build your own stuff. http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/ You will find them on the left side of the page. As indicated previously most buy their frames and foundation. You can buy the in pieces or already assembled, whichever your preference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i too build all my own wooden ware except the frames.this was the only year i thought about buying some extra supers untill i ran across some free wood.lucky me:applause:but i have bought frames from orrbeesupply,and they were far better then anything i could build and a whole lot cheeper!

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you enjoy woodworking, don't forget to check out some info on top bar hives, which use no frames. I think there are drawings in the "plans" section. I've never done a top bar hive but hope to try it someday soon.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I make the top and bottom bars cheaper than I can buy them. The endbars are way too much work for Hoffman style. If you cut them square they may be cheaper, but the frames would look cheap and you know how bees care about how the hive looks, or is that just the beekeeper?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts