Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built a horizontal medium frame foundationless hive for a new hive set-up the equivalent of 3 mediums.
I'm planning on using Michael Bush's recomendation for a top entrance versus drilling holes in the hive body.
My question now is what is the best way to use a feeder for 1:1 sugarwater so they will build out the comb?
I was thinking about using a Miller feeder box and putting it on the middle as the end box will have the upper entrance. I'm starting with packages and they will arrive on 3/25. I may have to put a sweater around the hive at the rate this winter is moving.

Thanks for your experienced advice.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I suppsoe your options are limited by your particular hive top configuration. you may or may not have room for a baggy feeder. you may or may not have the ability to use a miller style feeder. you will certainly have the ability to use a frame feeder...assuming you can find one in medium depth. I'm partial to the miller style feeders as they hold quite a lot of syrup. Making them (watertight joints) got to be too much hassle for me, so I started open feedeing with good results. if I jsut had a few hives though, I'd be all Millers.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'd pick up a clean 1 gal paint can for $4 @ Lowes, punch holes in hte lid, and set it on the top bars under an empty super.

It's cheap, quick to remove and fill, and effective.
Also cheaper in the long haul than buying and tossing baggies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks KPeacock and Bergonda for your responses. That clean gallon paint can ma be an option. The holes will have to be tiny I guess. I'll check out one of my mason jar feeder caps for a size. If I make a Miller feeder where would I locate the top entrance? below the miller feeder or on the miller feeder lid?

·
Super Moderator
11,159 Posts
Miller feeder designs vary slightly as to whether bees can get above the feeder.

If you build the Beesource Miller style feeder according to the plans, your bees will not be able to get above the feeder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.
I can put an entrance wherever it needs to be as I built the horizontal hive, But should the bee entrance be above or below the feeder? Or is there a right or wrong way to do it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
is there a right or wrong way to do it?
As with almost any beekeeping practice, there exist multiple ways to do it. Some beeks are rather set in their ways and know their way is the best way. I liek to try a few different ways and see what works best for me. At the end of teh day, any number of ways works just fine. Do what works best for you, or is easist for you. In my limited experience, i have found that sometimes the "best" way is too laborious, so i go for the "acceptable" easy way. The bees seem to be pretty forgiving of my laziness and/or lack of attention. I like to think I'm important to them, but plenty of bees get by just fine living in trees and abandoned buildings without the intervention of well meaning folks like us. I try not to worry too much about it. Then again, I'm still pretty much a hobbyist, so i can afford to have what sideliners/pros consider low yields and low ROIs.

My only advice, which isn't worth much, is to try to avoid permanently damaging gear. I try to avoid drilling holes in boxes for an entrance, as that box might be in a different spot later in the year, or next season. Many otehrs don't seem to botehr themselves with this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts