Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started in March with the two best hives of bees that I have in a lot of years.

One hive got into something and killed over half the bees. I fed 3-4 gallons of sugar and they appeared to be coming back. I looked two weeks ago and the weak hive had swarmed on me. Go figure. I did get to see one of the new queens eat out of her cell and wander off. I looked today and found the queen but did not see evidence of eggs. Little early 15 days? I looked thru most of 8 frames.

I looked in my other box that had swarmed a little earlier to see and there are two boxes of bees but not like before the swarm 3 weeks ago. I did find the queen right off and like the other box I did not find any eggs/larva. I looked at 10 frames top and bottom boxes and nada.

Since I found both queens and no eggs I closed up both boxes and decided to give them a week and check again. Guess I should have marked them but did not have the kit with me and really did not want to upset them.

Is there anything else that I could have done? Yes I screwed up on the second box. I do not want a third box of bees but now I feel a split or artificial swarm would be better than two mediocre boxes of bees. Guess I could have combined the split with the weak hive or given it away for the price of the boxes?

North of Houston has been flowering and going now since Early March and these two hives have little to show for it.

Opinions or suggestions. Thanks, JimD

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Patience
35 to 37 days from split is far end of to start egg laying. Swarm date varies from just before to cap day, but weather will delay swarming. You really do not know when virgin queen hatched.

Like a physician , first do no harm.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
As Salty says "Primum non nocere". Give the queens a few more days to get laying. I start looking around day 32 from grafting, but do not consider it a failure until day 39.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bees took off like fire last year and this year to start off with the best two hives of bees that I have ever had and a month later or less to have a big kill in one and then to swarm after feeding and the other hive swarm with a ton of bees.

Spring started here north of Houston in late February and I have little to show for it. Very little pulled comb and some honey in some of the frames but not much that is newly capped.

Would you go on and do an OA tmt since there IS NO capped brood in either hive at this time though the queens look in good shape little different color than the last ones. These these are a little smaller and little darker than the ones from last year but were moving around well.

I thought the one queen was a little young since I saw her hatch out but the other queen is a week or two older.

I wonder next year if you do a split or artificial swarm early next year If you could just combine the split with either hive if you have problems like I did with the poison or a major secondary swarm?

Thanks, Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts