Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 hives and one came out really strong this spring.I opened it up last Thursday and there were swarm cells everywhere so I pulled some eggs and brood out and put them in another deep and I figured I would get a new queen(since I was going down to Kelley Co. on Friday anyway) I opened the second hive and it looks good with lots of brood,eggs and bees.My third hive is another story altogether,only a couple of frames of spotty brood and not as many bees and they were starting some supercedure cells too,so I thought maybe it could use a new queen too.So I went down to Kelley co. to help my friend pick up 7 packages of bees and I picked up 2 queens.By the time we installed the packages and I re-queened the hive that I had split it started raining so I never got the queen installed on my weak hive.So the question is,when I get into this hive tommorow should I just put the queen in or should I take my double screen board and put the weak hive along with the new queen over one of my other hives to help them along.Also,should I pull a couple of frames of brood and eggs out of my other strong hive to put in this weak hive to help them along? Lots of options but I'm not sure which one to take.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Have you killed the queen in your weak hive yet? Did you cut out the supercedure cells? How weak is weak? How many frames of brood? How many frames of bees total? If you add brood from another hive make sure there is enough bees to cover those frames. You could add frames of brood with the attached bees and a shake of bees(all bees on the frame) off open brood for every frame of brood with attached bees you add. A weaker colony will accept a new queen better than a strong colony.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havnt pinched the queen yet because I havnt found her yet.When I opened the hive on Friday there were around 2 frames of eggs and brood and they were not covered by any means.I dont know how many frames of bees because it started raining and I had to rush it back together.I looked for the queen but I didnt have my glasses on and there wasnt much sun to light things up.I have a new Russian queen sitting on the counter waiting to go.I have been giving her a little water and even a drop of honey to keep her going but I really want to get her in a hive today.I was thinking about a double screen board over my stronger hive would really help the weak ones with a new queen get established.All suggestions appreciated,Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
what ever you do, they will not accept the new queen unless they don't have a queen, you gotta find and remove that old queen....... unless something else tells you that she is gone, they will kill the new queen as soon as they can get to her. You gotta find and remove her from the hive for a minimum of 12 hours unless you put her in and leave ALL the corks in the bottle. she might survive until they accept her if you do that. But again, The old queen has got to go first!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going in to look for her today.How long will this new queen last in her cage? I've been giving them some water and a drop of honey to keep them happy but I didnt know how long she will be okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts