Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in southwest Ohio, so we're past the main flow but not in a dearth because of the blessed rain which is keeping the white clover going. I have two four frame nucs which are producing brood now, made with queen cells from another hive. I'd like to keep them around as resource nucs for the season. Just not sure - the queen can fill up the frames with eggs pretty quickly with only four frames and half of them being honey/pollen. Do I need to keep pulling frames of eggs/brood from these nucs to keep them from geytting overcrowded and swarming?

I'm unfamiliar with management of this kind of small nuc. Any advice appreciated, or even point me to other useful threads from this forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Put another deck of frames above each one of them and get some more comb drawn. Even if only partially drawn it is very valuable.

If you start them early enough you can even super them.
Those look great! Do you overwinter in those? If so, what configuration do you overwinter with?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Gary's references are very good. You can buy the 4-frame nuc boxes from Betterbee...and perhaps others. Mine come from Betterbee. www.betterbee.com. I am near Albany NY and a well stocked 4 over 4 overwinters very well here, so I am sure it will do well in Cincinnati. Just one note of caution, watch out for varroa. Do mite wash counts every 3 weeks beginning in July and treat as needed. If you don't want to do the mite washes, use one Apistan strip per nuc beginning the first week of August, and then an oxalic acid drip in December.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Those look great! Do you overwinter in those? If so, what configuration do you overwinter with?
I just took the super off. They were working on it but it would have been much too late to cap. They winter well in that configuration but I left excess feed on them. I feed double 10 frame deeps to a target weight but dont know what is a reasonable weight for double or triple stacks of 4 frame nucs.

In cold climates they seem to draw the frames out full to the sidebars which they do not do (for me) in the 10 frame boxes until the second season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts