Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have Russian nucs for sale East of the Mississippi? I need 2-3. Thanks Brent.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do a google search for Russian Nucs and Dwight Porter. Pick up only though.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Does he ship queens? I emailed a couple of russian breeders about queens and none replied. Either they are real busy or just don't check the emails listed to their sites.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kelleys will have Russian swarms also, but I just wanted them to take off quicker. If I can't find the nucs at a reasonable price and distance I will order swarms. Kelleys will have 5 frame nucs of Italians for $113.00.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hubert Tubbs, in Mize, Mississippi, sells Russian nucs. As I understand it he's been one of the key players in the development of the Russian line.

·
Registered
134 Posts
StevenG is absoutely correct about Hubert Tubbs. I've purchased queens from him for several years and have been very pleased with his queens and Hubert is a great guy. Your problem is going to be timing. Hubert starts taking queen orders on December 1. He's well known and books up early. I don't know about nucs. You might also try Carl Webb in Georgia. I've dealt with him also and will continue to do so. My opinion is that your best chance of getting genetically pure bees will be to buy from a member of the Russian breeders association.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
walter kelley sells russian queens also
These are Russian 'hybrids'. The queen comes from a pure Russian mother but then open mates in yards that have historically been Italian. So, their progeny may not have the qualities you're hoping to get. Also, the hybrids have a reputation for being a bit 'spicy'.
I don't know about fatbeeman's. Where does he get his grafts? Are they from pure Russian breeders? Are his mating yards in an area where pure Russians have been for any period of time? Does he have pure Russian drone hives? I don't know.

If you want relatively pure Russians you likely need to go to the one of the Russian Breeders Assn members.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You could inquire with Long Creek Apiaries in Parrotsville, TN. http://www.longcreekapiaries.com/

You are wise to get nus where all the bees are all Russian. Russians queens introducted into Italisn hives will often get superceded. I introduced Russian queens into two of my Italian hives last spring and the bees got rid of them after only a week or two and started supercedure cells. I would like to try Russian bees but in reality it's hard to keep them Russian. Once your Russian queen gets replaced or the bees swarm and a new virgin queen emerges, she flies out and mates with Italian drones and you're back to square one. Your only option is to be continuely having to order expensive Russian queens in order to keep a pure Russian line going unless you can flood the drone congrgation areas where you live with Russian drones. That's the sad reality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts