Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a research project for which I need newly emerged bees. My idea was to start a nuc with a new queen, built out foundation, and shake some bees in there. Queen should fill up a frame if I have enough bees in it. Once the frame is capped, pull it about 3 days before they should emerge and put it into another two frame nuc with the entrance screened off and let them emerge in there. Good idea or bad? Got any simpler ideas.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Find a local beekeeper and buy a frame of brood for around $25 or a nuc for about $150

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is for a customer who wants 1-5 day old bees for proprietary research. Nuc won't do because the bees would be mixed. They do not want foragers. Thought of putting brood above an excluder, but those bees which would go to cover the brood would be about 1-14 days old. How long does the capped brood need to stay warm?

They want a supply of these newly emerged bees weekly over a period of several months.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is for a customer who wants 1-5 day old bees for proprietary research. Nuc won't do because the bees would be mixed. They do not want foragers. Thought of putting brood above an excluder, but those bees which would go to cover the brood would be about 1-14 days old. How long does the capped brood need to stay warm?

They want a supply of these newly emerged bees weekly over a period of several months.
Use an incubator like many do for queen cells.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts