Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon a swarm from who knows where flew into the shelter where I keep my extra equipment. I have nice nuc boxes with comb sitting on top of stacks of empty supers, but these girls landed on the ground & walked into a nuc with no frames inside. They overflow the box & some are hanging on the outside. To keep them interested in sticking around, I've put a quart of sugar water laced with honey in the entrance. I'd like to get them on some drawn and new frames, so I'm asking for advice from any of you who have successfully dealt with this type of situation.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Just open the box and put in frames. If there are more bees than the box will hold, add a second box with frames on top of the one they are now in.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Have you put frames of foundation or comb in that box yet?

I guess were I there I would move everything around that swarm and set a hive there and shake the bees into it w/ a frame of comb in the middle and the rest foundation.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you have supers for your nucs? If you don`t make some . You can put some drawn frames in one or two and put them on top,they will move up. I cut up plastic queen excluder and staple it on the entrance to keep queen in. Drop the top on the nuc so they fall in the bottom They will be hanging on the bottom of the lid, then set the supers on. Done,,,,,,,,Pete

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
oldiron, it's been less than 24 hours. Seems like sticking frames of foundation or comb in the nuc box would bve the simplest most immediate thing to do w/ the greatest benefit. One would be surprised as to how many bees actually fit inside that nuc box. Were it 45 degrees out all of them would be inside that box.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
213 Posts
How would you fit frames in the box with all the bees inside hanging from the inner cover or lid ?I just installed one about 20 min ago, I put 2 frames in the bottom box and 5 frames in the nuc super one of which is drawn for her to lay in. I dump the swarm in the bottom box, they crawl up the 2 outer frames in the bottom and occupy the top frames then later I can put the other 3 foundation frames in . Of course you could set up another nuc with all the frames in it on the ground and dump the bees right in front of it. 11 swarms so far this year,,,,,,,,,Pete

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I find that bees get out of the way. If there isn't room for another frame I smoke them and wait a while and set another frame in place and let it slide into place w/out forcing it. But that's why I suggested, originally, that the OPer should set a bottom board and deep there and shake bees into it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies to my situation. I took an empty, bottomless nuc and an empty nuc super out to the girls around noon. They had taken about a pint of the sugar water so it seemed they might be sticking around, even if I disturbed them somewhat. I opend the top of the nuc with the swarm and put one end on a stack of boxes while holdiong the other end level with my left hand. With my right hand I lowered three frames into the nuc, one at a time. I put them in very slowly. After @ 5 minutes, I went in again and put the other two frames in. Same speed. Right now, they all seem happy and will need another quart of sugar tomorrow AM. Meanwhile, another swarm moved into another nuc I have set out, and I'm wondering who do I have to thank?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
You should thank the 'Bee Goddess!'
I wonder what one would look like?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts