Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using Nicot, have queen caged Wed night, checking tonight it appears I have tiny rice grains in the cups. DID SHE LAY I"M THINKING SHE DID!!!! Don't look like grubs yet so maybe one day olds?

Look very much like these.

eggs.gif

·
Registered
211 Posts
sorry I didn't mention age, standing up straight is I think for around 3 days, after that they sort of fall over and start to form a C if I remember right larvae stage is at 8 days with capping to follow soon after that, chime in guys and gals if I screwed that up
rand.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have a cell grid but have not used it yet. My understanding is you leave the Queen in the cup cage 3 days then set the cups in a starter colony. Is that how you have done it?

Seems you get oodles of eggs..the question is which to use.

How do you plan to re introduce your Queen? I assume as she remains in her hive, albeit isolated, you can just let her out of the cage.

How easy was it to get her in and out of the cup cage?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How long until these eggs become larvae after being laid? Seems like they've been tiny rice grains for 2-3 days?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Under normal condition:
At the 3rd day, these eggs are still egg form.
At the 4th day, they are larvae--C shaped. <<--Now is the time to do grafting or transfer
these cups into the cell builder.
With cooler weather they may take up to 8 to 10 days. I once put a frame of comb outside
not knowing that there were eggs in it. After 5 days, (3+5)=8 they still hatched inside the
hive when I put the frame back . So from 3 to 5 days they are still egg stage when temp. is cooler outside.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
With cooler weather they may take up to 8 to 10 days. I once put a frame of comb outside
not knowing that there were eggs in it. After 5 days, (3+5)=8 they still hatched inside the
hive when I put the frame back . So from 3 to 5 days they are still egg stage when temp. is cooler outside.
You sure they didn't clean out the dead eggs, lay new ones, and that's what you saw hatched?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts