Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for having me I have very serious question I am a greenhorn whatever you want to call it very new beginner started my very first batch of Vikings blood with cherries raisins honey and hibiscus tea I used the lav d47 yeast and spring water! Last night she exploded and I just started it last night also my question is can I refill with water put more yeast in and restart or do I have to scrap everything please help

·
Registered
751 Posts
This should be moved to the home brewing sub-forum.

Actually, I would suggest trying the Mead Forum at Homebrew Talk. There is a lot more activity and experience there.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
Moved. But while we are at it, How much of the D47 did you use? I put in 1 packet per 5 gallon carboy. I suspect you can add water and honey as necessary to fill the fermenter and adjust the SG back to where it should be. I lost a gallon when I stirred down my first batch and had something resembling the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Also check the operation of your airlock, just in case it isn't working correctly.

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
190 Posts
I second the blow off tube. I once had a blow off tube going from a 5 gallon carboy into a 1 gallon jug and it still flooded the bottom of my fermentation chamber. That was a dark porter.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
I hope you adjusted you SG with additional honey or else the Viking's Blood is going to be very dry with a low alcohol content.

Reactions: Fivej

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Not an issue if you use too much yeast, except that it may be too lively as you discovered. I suppose it could give off a yeasty flavor initially, but that will go away with age. I use 1/4 packet for 1 gallon and even that is overkill. In a good environment, the yeasts go forth and multiply in serious numbers. J

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.