Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thanks for having me I have very serious question I am a greenhorn whatever you want to call it very new beginner started my very first batch of Vikings blood with cherries raisins honey and hibiscus tea I used the lav d47 yeast and spring water! Last night she exploded and I just started it last night also my question is can I refill with water put more yeast in and restart or do I have to scrap everything please help

·
Registered
609 Posts
This should be moved to the home brewing sub-forum.

Actually, I would suggest trying the Mead Forum at Homebrew Talk. There is a lot more activity and experience there.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Moved. But while we are at it, How much of the D47 did you use? I put in 1 packet per 5 gallon carboy. I suspect you can add water and honey as necessary to fill the fermenter and adjust the SG back to where it should be. I lost a gallon when I stirred down my first batch and had something resembling the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Also check the operation of your airlock, just in case it isn't working correctly.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Agree with JW. It will be fine. I would add a blow off tube until it settles down. I doubt you will have to add more yeast! J

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
148 Posts
I second the blow off tube. I once had a blow off tube going from a 5 gallon carboy into a 1 gallon jug and it still flooded the bottom of my fermentation chamber. That was a dark porter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow so I'm supposed to only use half the packet for a gallon?? What will happen if I used a full one???

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I hope you adjusted you SG with additional honey or else the Viking's Blood is going to be very dry with a low alcohol content.

Reactions: Fivej

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow so I'm supposed to only use half the packet for a gallon?? What will happen if I used a full one???
No problem.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Not an issue if you use too much yeast, except that it may be too lively as you discovered. I suppose it could give off a yeasty flavor initially, but that will go away with age. I use 1/4 packet for 1 gallon and even that is overkill. In a good environment, the yeasts go forth and multiply in serious numbers. J

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't worry about it, just clean up the mess. I've had several homebrew beers blow the lid off the fermenter. An overactive fermentation is always better than an underactive one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts