Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small time Hobby bee keeper Central Georgia USA. Third year of raising bees.

Starting to notice some DWV. Curly Wings or Practically no wings. Also some Whitish bees. Still very low percentage in numbers. Very few dead bees outside of entrance. Very few underdeveloped bees dead as well.

Most hives are 7+ frames of brood covered with bees. Bees have Plenty of bee bread and honey stored.

Hives were treated with Oxalic Vapor September of last year. No Chemical Treatment Since just Grease patties.

I have destroyed Dozens of Drones cells and not finding the Varroa mite. Did not find any on the powder sugar test.
Unsure what is causing the DWV or if I am doing something wrong.

Then I painted the Mating nucs.

On the Darker painted ones. I am seeing very very tiny something crawling everywhere even outside the Nuc. Cream colored almost microscopic. Sorry Camera on phone does not see them.

Tracheal mites or something else?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Jarrett. I know of nothing besides varroa that causes deformed, curly wings. Figure out what you are going to do about the mites. It sounds like it's pretty well progressed so harder treatments are likely necessary. Today is better than tomorrow. I don't know what the white things are. Maybe you can find a picture on the internet that looks the same? Good luck.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Pictures are awesome and would help about your mystery creepy crawlies.

I have never seen varroa or tracheal mites crawling around the outside of a hive. They cannot survive without a host for very long and they would have no reason to ever go outside anyway. Could just be some tiny insect nymphs or something, this is the time of year for that, and probably not a concern for your hive. When you say 'some DWV' how much are we talking? If you use a screened bottom board, are you getting any mite drops on the slide in board after a few days?

It sounds like you still have mites, but, and this is a big but, it is possible that a mite infestation got bad enough that the queen got parasitized too, this is very rare, but it does happen. If she got the virus transferred to her, she can pass it on to her offspring and you can get DWV without the presence of mites. If that is the case, you will need to requeen.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Tracheal mites are microscopic, they cannot be seen with the naked eye. However, is is possible that some of the symptoms you are describing could be due to them.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-...r/bee-research-laboratory/docs/tracheal-mite/

More than likely though, you have varroa mites, or as Akademee suggested, the queen is infected with the DWV virus. Best action is to pull any supers on this hive and treat with Apivar and maybe menthol. If the problem persists, requeen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts