Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a swarm this afternoon using a Coats version swarm trap, it appeared to be slam packed maybe five pounds of bees. I placed a screen over the entrance to transport them home, the only frames I had were rite-cell new foundation. I am going to try to transfer them to an 8 frame deep tomorrow, i do not have any drawn comb, will I need to feed them and is it ok to leave the screen over the entrance until I can transfer them maybe after lunch.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
I would give them two boxes if it were my big swarm. I would definitely feed them until they get established. I would put a queen excluder on top of the bottom board and no other entrances so the queen is basically trapped inside until she is laying. Consider lightly spraying the cluster before transfer with light syrup to put something else in their heads but getting the H out of the confinement. WIth the screen and kept in a cool place they will be fine til tomorrow afternoon. I would mist them with some water thru the screen. Just an ounce or two

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Do you have another hive you could take a frame of brood from and put into the new hive with the swarm? A frame of brood would likely keep them in the new hive. Like Vance said, go with two boxes and feed. The queen excluder is a good idea for a week or so. A swarm that big should have an older queen that could not go through the excluder, but you never know for sure. Misting them and keeping them cool and shaded should keep them from overheating. Congratulations on the large swarm! You may want to transfer late in the afternoon so they don't fly to much before dark. The main concern is not let them get too hot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only opening to the nuc is an entrance about the size of the small entrance on a entrance reducer, i am afraid they may overheat if I leave them to long. Due to work in the morning I may have to wait until the afternoon to do anything with them. Do not want them to overheat and die.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I put the swarm into a 10 frame deep this afternoon just about dark, i did not have a queen excluder, hopefully they will stay put. This is my first year with bees, they amaze me everytime I open a box. I caught this swarm yesterday afternoon at about 7 or 7:30p, put them in a five frame nuc, when I transfered them today the had drawn comb on both sides of all five frames and three of them were almost fully drawn out. Looked like 5lbs or so of bees.

I only had one 10 frame deep box, so I put feeders on the top of the inner cover and put a 8 frame medium over them to cover them, looks strange but will work until I can get another 10 frame deep.

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
Awesome sized swarm! Just a note, it looks like you have the frames up against one side of the hive, with all the extra space on the other. You want to split the difference between each side. Frames together tight, then split the extra space between each side. Good luck! I hope they stay for you! If they have already drawn that much, I would say your chances are quite good!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We out to check on swarm hive today, just to make sure they were still in place, I saw a lot of bees coming in with pollen, I checked the feeders and they were using them but not taking in as much syrup as I thought they would have. Looks like they may have decided to stay for a little while.

I plan on going in on Saturday and look to see if the queen has started laying, and if anything else may be going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts