Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody would happen to know what plant this is. The plant is some sort of vine plant that is growing on a very large locust tree. Every fall this vine plant is polluted with honey bees. Is it a pollen or nector producer? Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think its poison ivy. The leaves almost kinda look like a holly leaf a little. If you click on the pic. it will bring a larger picture up.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
746 Posts
I say blackhaw, southern wild-raisin or nannyberry.

leaning towards black haw the most, need to see the leaves a little better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a closer picture today of the plant. The locust tree is adbout 60' tall and the plant runs the full lenght of the tree. In the fall you are able to hear a low hum with the large amount of honey bee that are

·
Registered
913 Posts
Is the plant literally attached to the tree bark with roots, or just growing all around it and in amongst its branches?

·
Registered
913 Posts
After looking a little furthur, I think I'm voting for sweet autumn clematis.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After looking at the links posted by Joseph Clemens I strongly think he and Twall are correct.

I will post back about the roots Libhart.

Looks like the girls maybe in for a bumper crop this fall as the tree that is supporting it is only about 50' from my hive. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think what you have is English Ivy. The is much variation in the shapre of this species leaves. Some plants have a leaf shaped almost like a maple leaf whiles other are spear/lance shaped like yours. I have a book on invasive plants and one of the pictures of English Ivy and the flower look identical to your picture. If it doesn't shed it's leaves in the winter that's another big clue it's English Ivy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Definitely English Ivy (Hedera helix). It develops flowering stems and branches that look different from the typical climbing shoots.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Definitely English Ivy (Hedera helix). This is called the 'adult stage' of the vine. It takes on a different growth and leaf appearence.

Trust me, you do not want this vine. It is very invasive. It is even illegal to sell it in some states!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Finally had time to check my Manual of Woody Landscape plants by Dirr (was not sure when the ivy flowered). As I first suspected it appears to be Hedera helix, english ivy. The leaves on the adult plant actually change shape as it matures from the juvenille state to the flowering adult plant.
Al

1 - 20 of 21 Posts