Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking about ticked off!
Hive One doing GREAT tons of bees, brood honey and great productive queen. The hive is super gentle do not even need a suit as long as smoker is going.

Hive 2 requeened 3 times only 6 frames of bees no brood, hardly any honey can not find queen. What could be wrong here. Beginning of may this was a packaged hive and was immediately treated with medicated sugar water for mites. then the same thing happened as this time no queen, no brood, no honey 3 times. Im at a loss here what should I do with this hive is is 2 deeps should I put them into a nuc with a new queen? any help appreciated.

Hive 3 MEAN as HELL! opened it and nearly choked myself to death with smoke trying to keep them at bay. Suffered 10 stings to the butt & legs. No queen from what I could tell between stings this was re queened with a carnolian because the hive was nasty and there was no queen, brood just honey. this was also a new package hive in may and was also treated in may with medicated syrup. Now What do I do?

PLEASE HELP!
Thank you
Eileen:eek:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Eileen,

If you're confident that you are NOT seeing any eggs in Hive #2 and Hive #3, I can think of two quick options.

1) Newspaper combine - Stack Hive #2 and Hive #3 on top of Hive #1 with newspaper between the hive bodies. They will be one big happy family in 24-48 hours. This would make the strongest hive and let them gather the most stores for winter.

2) Take a frame of eggs from Hive #1 and put it in Hive #3 (one with most bees and honey/pollen?) Then put Hive #2 on top of Hive #3 with newspaper between the hive bodies. There still enough time for them to raise their own queen, but you'll have to feed, feed, feed syrup and pollen patties! This is a safer way to go for Hive #1 if you're unsure about there being a queen present in #2 or #3, and would give you a second backup hive in case #1 runs into trouble over the winter.

If you've had to re-queen that many times, I'm wondering if you need to introduce your new queens more slowly to the colony. How did you introduce them?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
You can try taking a frame of eggs and very young larvae from hive #1 and placing it in the queenless hive. The colony will start making a new queen from the brood given to them. If they do not start queen cells they have a queen of some sort and will not accept another queen. A queen made from brood of hive one has a good chance of producing gentle workers.

If your trouble starts again after you use the medicated sugar syrup, try changing methods of varroa control. What are you using in the syrup?

·
Registered
977 Posts
hello , first off as far as I know there are no sugar water treatments for "mites", now about your hotties, probably queenless do you see brood and eggs inbeetween smokin them, if not make shure not a drone layer then add a frame of eggs from your gentle hive and give them a few days to see if they make a new queen. Best of luck....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry, stings went to my head :doh: Fumagilin-B for nosema in sugarwater and apiguard placed in the hive.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Hive 2 is definately queenless.
Because I like punishment :eek: I'm going back in to the Hot hive tomorrow and going straight to bottom super and pulling frames as quickly as possible to double check for brood. Maybe with a shark suit on....do they make those for bees? Maybe the brazilian suits? :eek:

The queens were introduced in a queen package with candy in one end for the bees to eat through

THANK YOU ALL, I will keep you posted on my hot hive and what I will attempt after findings
Eileen

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Michael

You , Ray Marler & Bershire bee have been a great help with providing me with options for this hive I really appreciate everyones help. I'm going out in an hour to start working this hive. Im also going to move it to another location away from the other 2.

I will let you know the outcome later

Eileen

·
Registered
475 Posts
You may find an already mated queen here. I requeened a hive with one from here a couple of weeks back. You can pick them up down in Duxbury.

"The Plymouth County Beekeepers have taken on an initiative to raise Varoa Sensitive Hygienic (VSH) queens that are free mated to drones in the Northeast, theoretically creating a VSH Queen acclimatized to our area of the country. We have 30 on hand right now available for sale and more coming. To be clear – these are NOT VSH queens purchased from another area of the country. We have purchased a breeder queen from Glenn Apiaries and raised queens in this area for better acclimation to our area of the country. We are adhering strictly to the Larry Connor method of queen rearing, one of the more respected approaches. We are making these queens available at $24 and the mating yard is in Duxbury."
If you are interested, you can contact Fred at: [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts