Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a spinoff from a post from yesterday. This hive has been limping along and I didn't look closely enough until now. A couple of years ago an experienced beekeeper/entomologist said maybe I had EFB but that it would clear up as the weather warmed, coming out of spring. But he also thought maybe it was viruses from mites - not too helpful. I got a hold of some antibiotic and administered as recommended. Didn't get a test done - perhaps I should do so.

Disease recognition is an area I need much improvement in. If anyone could help by looking and giving their feedback I'd appreciate it. It doesn't look good to me. but it doesn't fit all the symptoms associated with foulbrood. Here's a link to photos on a Google Photos album. https://photos.app.goo.gl/51F8kHXGttzxVc649 I put descriptions and helpful info with the pix.

This hive has been weak since last year when I made it as a split from another in this bee yard. Much spotty brood. Open brood never seemed to have enough food in cells. Lots of crawlers in front of hive but no mites found in sugar rolls this year. No odor to pupae. No melting down or discoloration of open brood. No ropiness. Many emerging bees with tongues out, looking dark, greasy, or wet. Many look normal but don't fly. Bees in hive act kind of disorganized and jerky - agitated. Doesn't act like a well-organized colony.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I discovered yesterday they were in the process of superseding. Some folks said it would be difficult to introduce a capped queen cell from another colony after this hive already had its own capped cells. So I lost my resolve to do so, not wanting to "waste" a queen cell on a colony that might destroy it. I guess i can always remove the queen later. I think this is a colony I have nothing to lose trying something. It's in such bad shape that if I lose it it's no big loss, but I don't want to throw other colonies' resource into it. What worries me is if it's infectious, I've been using tools and trading out hive components with my other hives, all of which so far appear healthy. I really should get a positive diagnosis.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I hope somebody answers your questions. I have a few that seem kinda close. I wonder if you put some tin foil around the base of a queen cell if the bees would still tear the cell apart? I think this might solve me problems also but have been too lazy to try and get a few cells made to try it and am more just watching and seeing what happens now that it is warm. So far, nothing has gotten better in my hives.

I think the bee paralysis virus causes black bees but the ones I associate with that are more jet black and smooth. But I know I am a dummy so don't take this as advice.
Cheers
gww

1 - 4 of 4 Posts