Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 bee yards and had a hive swarm today from one which I caught. I don't want to expand my apiary so I feel like I've got 2 options on what to do with this swarm.
1. I caught a super tiny swarm last week that covers about a frame and a half that I could do a newspaper combine with and let the queens fight it out or...
2. I can relocate the bees for a few days and then bring them back and do a newspaper combine with the hive they left.

I am open to all other suggestions that don't include adding more hives to my apiary.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
I've got 2 bee yards and had a hive swarm today from one which I caught. I don't want to expand my apiary so I feel like I've got 2 options on what to do with this swarm.
1. I caught a super tiny swarm last week that covers about a frame and a half that I could do a newspaper combine with and let the queens fight it out or...
2. I can relocate the bees for a few days and then bring them back and do a newspaper combine with the hive they left.

I am open to all other suggestions that don't include adding more hives to my apiary.
I would keep it in case you need a queen, put it in a NUC see how the Queen lays. If you like the pattern and the offspring take a less desirable Queen dispatch it and combine. You have a month or so to think about it.

GG

·
Registered
421 Posts
Snelgrove boards (aka double screens) come in handy -- you can keep your hive count constant if you want, while keeping the swarm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts