Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys & gals I'm new to this forum and to bee keeping,i'ts possible that I may not be posting in the right area.I have some questions that i'm hoping to get some advice on like I said I'm new and have read alot of books and some on this forum,what is the best size boxes to get for the two bottoms like supers are they all the same size? also the foundation screens that I put into these two boxes on the bottom how many drone screens and worker screens do I put in are is that determine buy the bee? once the screens are drawn out and all has hatched do i need two replace the screen?I have not got bees yet but am trying to get my hive ready.also what boxes do I need to go on top of my supers for honey can I use supers also. I'm hoping someone can help take the confusion out of this for me. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated

THANKS DAN

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Dan,
Where I live most people use 2 deep boxes for the brood boxes, about 9". Also medium boxes for honey supers about 6".
A lot of people run all mediums, IE no deep boxes.

In you're area there might be people using different setups like 1 deep, with one medium for brood.

Have I confused you yet?

Drone frames I use 1 per hive, but am thinking about trying a different method next year, using 1 med. frame in each deep box. To let the bees build the drone comb on the bottom of it. much easier to just cut it off.

I'd say to start 1 hive, buy the brood boxes you decide on, with the correct size frames, & foundation. You might also want at least 3 honey super boxes for that hive.

Have fun & talk to people from youre area.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hi Dan and welcome to Beekeeping and to BeeSource! Your best source of info will be someone in your area that currently keeps bees. I could answer your questions based on my experience here in Maine, but as the saying goes, All beekeeping is local. What works for me here is probably not right for you. Check out your state association - I imagine they can put you in touch with someone to talk with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for the info I really don't know anybody in my area that has any bees.Ive been looking and asking and seems nobody in my local area that I can find has any bees. so are you guys saying that all the boxes are the same diameter on the outside just some are shallower than others? thanks again for the info ........

DAN

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are two basic sizes to boxes, 8 frame or ten, that affect the diameter as you say. The inside dimension will be pretty much a fixed item in either 8 or 10, but the outside dimension will vary a little by manufacturer based on the thickness of the wood used. Once you've chosen the number of frames you'd like your boxes to have then you get into the discussion about frame size; deep, medium, shallow, etc. As Andrew said, local beekeepers will have a better idea of what works well in your area. A lot of folks are getting into the one size fits all theory where they use nothing but medium framed boxes, for example. On a space basis, three medium framed boxes have almost exactly the same amount of space as two deeps, but different beekeepers will prefer one setup over the other for a number of possible reasons.

So, chose 8 or 10 frame, then choose deep or medium frames, then, I'd suggest, buying all your boxes from the same supplier to ensure they are the same size inside and out.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
We use all deeps. It takes just as long to spin out and about as long to uncap a deep as a Illinois frame does. OK- another opinion. If you're not confused yet, you will be. I like uniformity in equipment and don't want to have to stock any more varying inventory as necessary. Some day those 9 framers will be too heavy for this old man, then maybe we'll go with eights.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You may want to find a local beekeeping association. I am not sure where Dry Branch is located in the state, but you could look here;
http://www.gabeekeeping.com/index.html
It is always nice to find a local mentor that can offer some hands on advice.
They can also tell you what is local to your area as far as concerns and what works well for your area.
Good Luck! Here in this area of Ohio most run double deeps for brood and Medium or shallows for honey supers.

You may also give this a look; (This is GA. Dept. of agriculture)
http://agr.georgia.gov/portal/site/...toid=95cdbf6926a06210VgnVCM100000bf01020aRCRD

This is also another place you may find help locally;
http://heartofgeorgiabeekeepers.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, Not to give a a plug for any particular business, but the first thought that ocurrs to me is this. Go due south down I-75 and then west to Moultrie. At the north end of town is a company called Rossman apiaries. They have a showroom and can show you all of the equipment you will need to start and what you may need in the future. You can also see your options in different sizes of boxes.They also raise and sell bees, they can answer all your questions and get you started. Please join one of the previously mentioned local beekeeping associations. But a word of warning, in case you have'nt noticed yet, you may become obsessed with trying to figure out why these insects do what they do and how you can convince them to do your biding.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks guys for your time and info . some bee keepers might bee surprized at my find very interesting indeed at leased to me. I happened to stumble across a old bee hive from a abandoned house, no one has lived or tended to these bees in 8 years,and they are still there very busy after 8 years without human interference. I found that to be interesting to me........

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:popcorn:thanks guys for your time and info it is much appreciated.the one other question that I still have no understanding of was the screens and foundations I know every bee keeper has a opinion of what works for him i'm open to all suggestions. do you like the plastic foundation or wire ?also does this stuff come with bees wax already on? what size will I need for the bottom is there a such thing as drone foundation vs worker bee foundation vs queen bee foundation.stupid question but I really don't know thanks again guys for the info.....[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Oh now we can confuse you, even more.

From what I've read on the forum over the years, about 1/2 the beekeepers like plastic frames, & 1/2 like wood frames with wax foundation.
There are a lot of beekeepers who put the wire in wood frames, & allow the bee's to make 100% their own wax.

I use the black plastic frames that mann lake sells, & have been happy with them so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts