Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a big swarm on the 10th of May that filled up a deep. They went to work drawing all 10 frames. On May 20 I determined there was no queen and I requeened and she was out May 24.

They have been consumming 1.5 to 2 quarts of syrup a day. The issue is they have stored all the syrup in the frames and left maybe 3 frames for her to lay and she is working on those. I added a new deep today and moved 3 frames of syrup up to the second deep and added 3 empty frames in the original deep. I placed the syrup on the outside edges of the new deep and the 3 empties right next to where she was laying.

I removed the feeder today which had gotton crowded with bees clustering to the to intercover. Even though they had not created any new bees as they drew out the frames the bees lost the little extra space they had.

Is this what should be done? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well there is one thing that your suppose to do is wait until 80% of the frames is drawn out and from what you just mentioned you moved 3 frames up top and put 3 empty in the bottom?????...Now that makes it 70% in the bottom deep which isnt 80% and the fact that bees move up! I would of let bees be bees! I also installed a swarm around may 10th but i installed them in a TBH..They have 12 bars drawn and i finally seen eggs and larva today. They are doing just fine, i left them draw out what they want!...Good luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern if I did nothing was that frames 1 through 6 in the origional deep are full of syrup and 7, 8, and 9 have small brood openings and 10 is full of syrup. That leaves little room for brood in the bottom deep. Will they open that area back up if left alone? I was trying to open the center up a little for brood. I am a new at this and may be over thinking it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well you could of added the 2nd deep but why place the 3 empty frames in the bottom when they are suppose to be full. That would be ok if the bees stayed down in the 1st deep but i dont think they will. Those 3 empty will be empty a mth from now! Yes you way over thought it for sure! Let them be bees!!...Good Luck

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Jeff G; you did good! Probably no reason to keep feeding this time of year so let them do what bees are supposed to do. Keep checking the brood boxes so they don't block them out with nectar or syrup.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Intresting that so many so he should not have empty frames in the bottom box, Isn't adding a frame or 2 of foundation right in the middle of the brood nest a great way to get them drawn quickly, give the queen room to lay, and "open up the brood nest" so as to prevent swarming?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only thing I would have done differently was put the new frames every other one right in the middle of the brood.

Mine haven't left yet.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Since you have the 2 boxes drawn out, I agree with the other poster. Stop feeding, & let them make real honey.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Jeff perfectly executed IMO, pull the feed for a while let them use what is available as far as natural forage and use what syrup they have stored, keep an eye on them and assist further if neccessary. BRAC you are correct this is a great way to open up some room in the brood nest and they should draw those frames quickly giving her majesty more room to lay. The 80% rule is not hard and fast, in this case it was a big swarm, they stored faster than the queen started laying and had he not "switched" some frames he would have probably ended up with a "syrup bound" bottom half, severely hampering the queens ability to increase the number of workers in the hive which is of utmost importance as it was a swarm (ie.. older bees that will start dying soon).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help. I am going to leave them alone for a while and see what happens. Mabe in a week or so if they are not working on the new frames in the bottom, I will move one over into the brood frames.

Interestingly their activity outside the hive almost went to zero yesterday when I added the second deep and took away their food. Today their activity is also lighter than normal. Just an observation.

I really appreciate all the feedback, being new it helps tremendously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts