Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I need some serious insight and advice regarding storing brood frames. Since fall, I have lost about 60 brood frames. Let me explain and hopefully someone will be kind enough to help.

Ok, first of course, the wax moths were destroying them, even if I froze them before storing. So I made a spray using BT and applied it. After a few weeks I needed frames and found that they were destroyed by wax moths. Of course I’m pissed at this point, and then found out I used the wrong BT, so there went 30 frames.
So I buy Xentari, based on people’s recommendation. I followed the instructions, provided by people who have used it with success, including how they then stored the treated frames.
Fast forward a few months until now. I opened up the storage boxes and all of them are completely moldy, nasty and unusable.
So that is 60 frames of drawn brood comb ruined and now I just have foundation for the nuc’s I have ordered, no more drawn comb for brood.
It seems that many people have success storing brood comb all winter without wax moth or mold problems.
Does anyone have a method they have used numerous times without problem?

I am at a loss and would love some solid advice.
Thank you,
Damien

·
Registered
978 Posts
Freeze your frames for 3 to 4 days. Remove let air dry a few hrs until no moisture, the seal in a plastic garbage bag. Works for me.
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
the mold was probably from putting them up wet with the bt spray. they need to be dry if you are going to put them in air tight storage boxes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to let them dry before sealing them in a box. I was concerned about that because the BT has a short active life but I don’t have many options.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I freeze 'em for a few days - you do need a freezer with a really low temperature for this - and then either store them in the workshop inside a vented defunct commercial chest freezer, or indoors in an unheated utility room within stacked brood boxes with a cotton dust sheet draped over them. I still get one or two cases of pollen mite activity, but no wax moths or grey mould.
LJ

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
I was concerned about that because the BT has a short active life ...
i'm not sure about that. i use bt aizawai on the brood frames i put in my swarm traps and one treatment keeps them free from wax moth damage for a couple of months or longer.

really, they don't need to go into a sealed box once treated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can’t put them back on top of hives over winter, too much space will kill my bees trying to keep the brood and themselves warm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just assumed once treated they needed to be stored in a sealed contained, I will try to store some in boxes that are not sealed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts