Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am in the process of requeening my hives in Southern CA. I want a bee breed that is gentle, winters well, and has good brood production. What would you guys recommend? I really like the Minnesota Hygenics. Are those good in my area? Thanks:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree, go to your local bee club and talk to some people.

For example, I started with Italian because they are hard workers and produce lots of brood and bring very little honey into the brood chamber. Then I switched to MN Hygenic which I seem to find doing a similar job. However, I am probably going to switch to Carnolian after talking to many old time bee keepers in my general area or further north. They like the Carnolian because it does bring down some nectar into the brood chamber and really pack it full before winter. So, to me that would make it easier to winter them. I could probably winter in 2 deep vs doing 3 deep like now.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'm very pleased with the NWC I got from Oliverez, this year.
Built up very fast, are storing honey in a couple supers, & are gentle. The black queens are easy to spot.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
We picked up 60 NWC from Strachen, had very few problems. My son got antsy, and hand released one, it flew away. Might have one other stinker. Otherwise, most are laying in solid patterns. We might be 58/60.

Roland

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I might suggest contacting BEES4U (ernie) or Ray Marler here on BEESOURCE (send them a PM). They are both in CA and IMO very knowledgeable about queens/queen breeding and probably your area also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts