Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys ever have residual bees after a cutout? I did a cutout on Wednesday that was honeybound and potientally queen less. I know some folks will leave the hive there for a day or so and take it at night. I didn't want to do that because I was concerned that they might move back into the cavity where I removed them since they were probably queen less.

The homeowner called me back today and said that there were 10-15 bees outside near where the hive was. He said he sprayed a little ant killer on some black ants and 100 or so bees came out of the cavity.

I vacuumed all of the bees out that I could see during the cutout. When I was done there wasn't but 10-15 milling around outside. I wanted to spray some bee quick under the house just to drive out any stragglers, but the homeowner had left and I couldn't get back into the basement.

Guess there was a pocket somewhere in there where they were hiding. Going to go back after dark and vac out any stragglers I see. Any other ideas?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
I take the hive home after dark that same day. You often have to just kill the few stragglers. Soapy water will work. Make sure the space is filled with something and they will have no way back in really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts