Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky to get a free complete Hive (1 deep/bottom/top/cover, 5 frames and 2 inside frame feeders)from CL the other day.

It is old and I am going to guess it sat for at least a year in this condition. Only thing the giver said was that they tried it but isn't for them. Remember it was CL so I can no longer ask questions of the giver :(

I have pics of the frames and would like to know if these are too far gone to use in my bait hive. 2 have some honey on it, one had a small spider (evicted), I did not see any moths, old pollen.
* I have 2 NEW hives (frameless) at my house and then this one in the carport until Saturday when I can clean it up a bit.

Pics are Left to Right please in answering.
1)
2) Evicted Spider
3)
4) has Honey
5) has honey
IMG_20200428_084903536[1].jpg IMG_20200428_084941116[1].jpg
I can get better pics of each one if that is easier.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Of course they are totally good - if you ask the bees.
It is really about your own perception (and tolerance for potential of infection transfer, to be fair).

I'd use them straight as-is in swarm trapping project and don't worry much.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Looks ok to me. I wouldn't call those frames old. Looks like someone had bees for a year and they died out, probably from mites. One comb looks to have a wonky spot but nothing major. I'd use them.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course they are totally good - if you ask the bees.
:lpf:

I did see the wonky, I was going to cut that smooth to fix it.

But none look Moldy? The pollen is very dusty so I was just not sure if I should bang on the ground to get it out or not (not the honey frames).

Nice Thank you both. I will now have 3 hives 'baited' until the nuc I am buying in May comes.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
In fact, some mold and webs and such are much more attractive to a swarm than brand new, shiny foundation.

I will not share here pictures of moldy combs that go into my traps - just so to not spoil the breakfast for those still eating.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took off 2 sections of slightly wonky bits, the burr comb.
The bottom board is FULL of Pollen. Should I take some of that and put it in the 2 other new hives? Or would that be asking for other critters to come in?

Question, how close to an fence can the hive opening be near? Just trying to point it so I can aim the bees to coming over my carport and not through it :pk:

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I took off 2 sections of slightly wonky bits, the burr comb.
The bottom board is FULL of Pollen. Should I take some of that and put it in the 2 other new hives? Or would that be asking for other critters to come in?

Question, how close to an fence can the hive opening be near? Just trying to point it so I can aim the bees to coming over my carport and not through it :pk:
In fact, I doubt what you see is pollen.
Pollen does not just lay around willy-nilly on the hive floor.
Most likely wax residue is what you see, not pollen in bulk.

Just dump whatever it is and scrape the bottoms and don't worry about it.

Fence/carport/etc.... - not enough details given to spend the time speculating.

If a hive pointed towards a solid wall, the bees will fly just fine as long as there is sufficient bee space between the hive and the wall - it is not pretty to a human eye and may feel as if awkward but the bees will do fine anyway.
However, with this approach (directly facing the wall) you don't have any control which way the bees will fly.

It is better to explicitly direct the entrances in some open direction and, thus, you actually give a pretty good hint of the direction.
Optionally, using some materials or existing vegetation create a vertical "chimney" in front of the entrance and, thus, force them fly up/down.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is about 20' and then my shed, carport on other side. I just wanted to make sure they had enough 'running room' to get up high. I am sure they will go off to the side toward my deck :rolleyes:
Here is what is on the bottom, in the garden shovel is some too that I already took out because it had little tree bits in it. looks like Pollen to me. If pollen what should I do with it?
IMG_20200428_160236443[1].jpg

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
There is about 20' and then my shed, carport on other side. I just wanted to make sure they had enough 'running room' to get up high. I am sure they will go off to the side toward my deck :rolleyes:
Here is what is on the bottom, in the garden shovel is some too that I already took out because it had little tree bits in it. looks like Pollen to me. If pollen what should I do with it?
View attachment 55061
All they need is 2-3 feet of space in front of the entrance to comfortably go up and come down.
Not much "running room" is needed - think helicopters.
Bees are primarily forest and mountain creatures and do not require much "running room".
All this "running room" is nothing but human approach to the things.

What on the picture is a mix of wax capping primarily with some other ingredients with some bee bread is probably mixed in too (especially if the wax moths tunneled through the combs with bee bread).
There could be also bee poop, propolis, wood shavings, bugs, wax moths, mold, etc - all mixed in.

Notice how the residue is aligned with the former frame positions - that is what you normally see after the winter - bees open and shred the cappings as they eat the honey and those bits fall down and accumulate in rows.

Like I said - scrape - toss - forget it.
OK, fine - you can try eating the stuff and there will be nothing wrong with you either. Not toxic.
:)

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm not eating that TYVM it has Spider spit in it.

Ok so definitely clean it out. Would some of this in the other new hives help to attract at all? I'm going to put in the wax that I scraped off the Wonky and burr in them so didn't know if this is a 'good smell' too.

Helo's I get it. Just want to make it easy for them I guess.

Thanks I'll go out and clean it now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts