Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed what looked like mummified bee parts on the landing board. I really didn't think much of it, then I seen a bee drag one out yesterday. So today I opened it up to see how things were going. I installed the hive on may 18th from a nuc. They have the 3 and half of the 5 frames I added to the deep drawn. I see lots of fresh eggs capped brood and a good looking queen. But I seen on one of the frames that was with the nuc has really dark capped brood and some nurse bees are pulling the mummified bee parts out of the really dark caped brood. Is this foulbrood? Thanks forany input.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm still getting my legs under me, but from what you've described (mummified brood), it sounds like you might be dealing with chalkbrood. When you say 'mummified' do you mean that the whole larva is in one piece? I hope that others will chime in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still getting my legs under me, but from what you've described (mummified brood), it sounds like you might be dealing with chalkbrood. When you say 'mummified' do you mean that the whole larva is in one piece? I hope that others will chime in.
I have not seen them in one piece. By the time the bees get them out of the comb they are in pieces. The bee pieces are really dry and hard. What can be done about chaulkbrood?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Yea, sounds like chalkbrood. It gets set off with moist environments, but can be carried in the genetics also. Good hive ventilation helps, warmer weather helps. Sometimes it crops up when feeding as it puts more moisture into the hive environment. I myself would requeen with different genetics to help prevent it happening in the future.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not quite ready to agree this might be Chalkbrood as the description isn't complete; it could just as easily be chilled brood from the description.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm not quite ready to agree this might be Chalkbrood as the description isn't complete; it could just as easily be chilled brood from the description.
I have had that thought, too. Without seeing the larvae, it is difficult to state anything with certainty.

Do the larvae look powdery and dry?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have so far not encountered chalkbrood in my hives, and have only seen it once in hives that were not my own; I didn't go into that hive but saw the mummies on the landing board. So, my opinion is based only on study and a single observation. Nonetheless, comparison of the photos you took to what I have seen and to those found by searching "chalkbrood" on the web shows a strong similarity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have so far not encountered chalkbrood in my hives, and have only seen it once in hives that were not my own; I didn't go into that hive but saw the mummies on the landing board. So, my opinion is based only on study and a single observation. Nonetheless, comparison of the photos you took to what I have seen and to those found by searching "chalkbrood" on the web shows a strong similarity.
it does seem to be, but i think the queen is laying good now there are tons of fresh capped brood and lots of eggs to. we will see though. thank you everyone for contributing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts