Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my 1st package 3 days ago. Went back into the hive today to see if the queen was released and found that she wasn't. Her attendants were dead but she appeared to be fine so I decided to release her myself. Without getting into the details of my stupidity let me just say that I watched her fly away. This is my only hive so I have already ordered a new queen. However, it looks like it will be 5 or 6 days until I get her. So my question is this, will the rest of the package stay with the hive until the new queen arrives? I did leave her cage in the hive but should I also screen off the entrance until she arrives? They have pollen and syrup. I have seen them out foraging already and don't want to cut that off for almost a week but don't want lose the whole package either.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
You should be ok. Sometimes paying the extra money for over night freight is worth it - either that or have a local source that you can pick a queen up from without a 5 or 6 day delay. The biggest issue to watch out for is one of your workers starting to lay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They should stay. Don't screen them in for a week. She may return, so check for her before introducing your new queen. Next time pull a few frames out of the hive and release her at the bottom of the box. Then put your frames back in carefully. Good luck with your new bees.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I did the same thing once, stayed exactly where I was, and watched as she flew around and eventually flew back to me and the hive. It happens - don't beat yourself up over it :) If possible, consider a second hive as it gives you lots more options when things go wrong.

Good luck!

-Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the fast replies. So what should my next steps be if I find I have laying workers when my queen arrives? From what I have read it doesn't seem like shaking out the hive works very well.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
From what I have read on this list it usually takes longer than 5 days to get a laying worker.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You'll have it taken care of before you have laying workers. Also per JRG13's note, there's a chance she is back so you may actually end up with two queens (until the new caged one is deposed). Check for the returned queen (or for eggs) before you install the new queen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts