Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday was Easter. Warmish here in the 50's with little wind. Went out to check the backyard hive, all good with little action. Decided to go out a little later that afternoon and discovered clumps of bees on the ground and underneath the hive. I do not know what to make of this. They are just balled up in groups and many scattered on the ground. I immediately thought maybe the queen had been dropped as I was in the hive some 7 days prior and transferred the 7 frame hive to a 10 frame to give them a bit more room. I did not notice anything unusual since until yesterday. They were still there this morning. This is distressing as there are about 5 to seven bunches and they seem unwilling to go back in the hive. Any thoughts as to what is going on. Now I'm wondering about my queen. I did look in the clumps and did not see her. See attached pics.
:s

Attachments

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
if you had more clumps and it was 20 years ago, I would say trac. mites. did you go back today and see if they were gone or more of them. There have been quite a few people reporting acute bee paralysis, but those bees look normal and not enough, If they have food, I would just keep an eye on them

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you had more clumps and it was 20 years ago, I would say trac. mites. did you go back today and see if they were gone or more of them. There have been quite a few people reporting acute bee paralysis, but those bees look normal and not enough, If they have food, I would just keep an eye on them
Thanks for the response. Yes, I did go back today and they are still there. Tried to put them in the entrance and got a reaction from the hive. They seemed agitated. I have seen this when there are high winds, like we have today but not in calm conditions. They have plenty of food and are bringing pollen in. This just confuses me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did it get overcast? This happens a lot when bees fly in the 50's. They come back to the hive and fall short of the landing board or slide off of it and then can't get their temperature up high enough to fly again. If it gets cold at night they will die. But, there usually aren't enough of them lost to really hurt the hive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup it was cloudy all day. I can understand missing the landing strip, couldn't get why they were so scattered around the hive. I was scared that maybe they had been poisoned but the rest seem okay. Also didn't understand why they got agitated when I put some on the landing strip. Things that make you hummm! Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's not a lot of bees. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it starts increasing. Remember that a typical hive will lose up to 1000 bees per day normally during foraging season.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good thought to keep in mind. Just not used to seeing so many die together. As an update, I went down to check on them, they were still there and the nighttime temps had dropped into the 30's. The sun was out strong that morning so I scraped them all up and put them on the black stand top. Within minutes they began to move. I came back an hour or so later and they were mostly all gone. God indeed made some amazing creatures!

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
YAY, good thinking. So it was the cold and that is so much better then if they were poisoned!

yesterday I saw quiet a few bees with pollen on their legs. I tried to put one in my empty hive but she left lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts