Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, any advice would be great.

Located in IL (Northern part) 12 hives, we have two small swarm hives (early July) that we were going to combine with stronger hives to give them a shot at overwintering. Inspected one hive last week, all was well, Q/E/L/CB, bringing in pollen and starting to draw second hive body. This week we inspected to get a mite count and found 15-20 queen cells (several capped), no eggs, larvae and CB. Its too late in the season to re-queen, so we'll need to combine now instead of after our mite treatment.

Question: Do I need to kill all of the queen cells before combining, or will the other hives Queen kill them all as they pipe in their cells?

I was going to use the newspaper method as a way to combine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would destroy all the queen cells to insure no swarming and to insure that a virgin did not emerge and kill your good queen. Newspaper combine is the way to do it, yes. Good luck into winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
TMHack, I requeened a swarm colony about this time last year, and that was the colony that made it through our awful winter, so it's not necessarily too late. I did feed them continuously until spring--syrup through fall and dry sugar through winter.

Right now, I have a swarm colony that broke off my main hive in mid July. The colony hatched a new queen, and she has just begun laying this week, a nice solid pattern. I am planning to feed them so they can build up for winter, no plans to combine them with my other hive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts