Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have narrowed it down to 3 extractors. but first let me tell you that i started beekeeping early last year. i started off by buying a new hive from another local beek. i didnt take honey last year. this year i split that hive once and bought 3 packages. all of my bees are russian ( not relevant). so i have 5 hives already. still planning on growing more next year but im just going step by step, i will likely not buy bees next year, just take whatever splits i can get. so 5 hives and growing, time to buy an extractor and i already have a lot of honey this year. i know that there is about 150 lbs of honey in the hive from last year and summer isnt even over. oh yeah, i only use medium boxes, for everything.

so im a little tight on money right now because i switched jobs and it has taken over 2 months now for pay roll to switch me from one department to another... crazy i know. i bring that up because i would really like a motorized extractor but its just too much money. i figure that down the road i would just buy a motor kit to add on to it. plus im young i guess i shouldnt be complaining about spinning honey by hand.

i listed the extractors in order of how i like them.

1) Brushy mountain farm 9 frame radial extractor $510 + $78 shipping = $588

i like this because is 9 frames all radial, so no flippng frames. clearly this is the most frames for your buck. plus its 22 ga. stainless which is comparable to the other brands.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Deluxe-9-Frame-Radial-Hand-Extractor/productinfo/802/

2) Dadant M00400 RANGER RADIAL EXTRACTOR - HAND $482 + $60.03 shipping = $542 or $482 + $29 sales tax = $511

i like this because again all radial, american made, very reputable, and i may be able to pick up from their albion location ( ill be in the area in less than 2 weeks). though its only 6 frames....

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_72&products_id=360

3) Maxant 3100H 9 frame extractor $499 + $43.67 shipping = $543

sure 9 frames, but only 6 radial. that means 3 frames are going to need flipping and those radial frames are so close together makes me wonder about how long it will take to get the honey out from between them. and again very reputable and american made quality etc.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html

thanks for your help and suggestions!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have the maxant and find it extracts honey without any problem between the frames.... Well made and it was fairly local since I'm in Mass so I could pick it up at the home manufacturing site in Ayer to save on shipping.... I just use the 6 frames radial but only have 5 hives so it was not a problem for me...;- )

·
Registered
211 Posts
I too have been checking on extractors and can tell you most are either 24 or 26 gauge metal and the maxant is 20 gauge making it a little heavier metal, I'm going for the maxant

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I was going thru the same type of thoughts last winter, and had essentially the same list of extractors, except the motorized variants in mind. Then my wife asked one simple question. In 3 years, when you go out to the bee yard to pull honey, how many boxes do you expect to bring back? Dont look at today, look at how many will be there next year, and the year after. My answer to that is, 50 or so boxes of frames 3 years down the road, per extraction cycle, which happens twice on a normal year, 3 times on a year when the weather allows for a good early maple flow.

I thought about that for about 20 seconds, and decided to get the Mann Lake 9/18 instead of the brushy mountain 9 frame. Once we were looking at the larger units, the decision to go with Mann Lake vs the others was simply shipping costs. I can pick up the Mann Lake stuff thru a local supplier, the others all had to be ordered in. The difference was dramatic, cross border shipping is not inexpensive.

We used it for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I must say, it sure is a treat to be able to put 2 full boxes of frames into the extractor in one load. We only did 6 boxes of mediums for our first time using this setup, but compared to what we used before, a two frame tangential club extractor, this was just a joy to use. Using the club extractor, doing 6 boxes would be a weekend project. Using this one, we were done (including cleanup) in under 2 hours.

After having used both tangential and radial extractors, no way I'll go back to flipping frames. As for the difference between 6 and 9, it's about 50% in terms of time to extract. It'll take the exact same amount of time to spin a load of 6, vs a load of 9. for this year, 150lb of honey, it wont be a huge difference. How many boxes of frames do you expect to extract next year, or the year after ? The answer to that question may be the deciding factor.

As for upgrading to power in the future, again, same question. When upgrade time comes, do you want to upgrade the one you have, or, will you be thinking about flogging this one off to someone else, then buying a larger one ? Again, depends entirely on how many boxes you expect to be extracting down the road.

As far as the metal guage goes, no doubt about it, the shiny new Mann Lake extractor in our garage (used once) is NOT the same sturdy construction of the old Maxant club unit we used to use. But, I have no intention of dropping it off the back of a pickup (happened numerous times with the club extractor going from place to place on loan), or otherwise abusing it. It's plenty strong for what it's meant to do, sit in our garage for 363 days of the year, then extract honey on 2 or 3 days of that year. If we were going to be using for weeks on end, day after day, I'd likely think a little differently, but we aren't. It gets used for a couple days of the year, and for the rest of the time, it's a nice shiny garage ornament. It will last us for many years.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,164 Posts
I held out for 26 years until I could afford an 18 frame radial motorized extractor. I never regretted it. If money is tight, I would keep an eye out for used extractors or bargains on dented ones etc. I'd hold out for a real extractor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry off topic, but Well i held out till this morning an bought a Dadant 20 frame radial.

argh, hope i get some honey this year, wife might get mad.

G.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I held out for 26 years until I could afford an 18 frame radial motorized extractor. I never regretted it. If money is tight, I would keep an eye out for used extractors or bargains on dented ones etc. I'd hold out for a real extractor.
ive been looking for used ones, havent found any....

·
Registered
371 Posts
You should definately buy one that you will grow into, not out of. I run a pair of dadant 6 frame radials. I purchased both as hand models and converted over to power because I had motors and speed controllers already that would work. I bought both of mine for less than the cost of a 12 frame, that's why I went the way I did. I load one and get it spinning then uncap and load the second. Many times the first is close to done by the time I get the second going so I just repeat the process with the first. I like my dadant extractors, but the maxants aee really nice also. I would strongly recommend a radial no matter what brand you go with.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should definately buy one that you will grow into, not out of. I run a pair of dadant 6 frame radials. I purchased both as hand models and converted over to power because I had motors and speed controllers already that would work. I bought both of mine for less than the cost of a 12 frame, that's why I went the way I did. I load one and get it spinning then uncap and load the second. Many times the first is close to done by the time I get the second going so I just repeat the process with the first. I like my dadant extractors, but the maxants aee really nice also. I would strongly recommend a radial no matter what brand you go with.
well i think i would be growing into this. im likely only harvesting 3 medium boxes this year and probably about 15 boxes next year. and down the road make it motorized. there just no way i can afford a 20 frame right now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK so i have kicked the maxant, im not flipping frames, so now its is between brushy mountain 9 frame and Dadant ranger. i am considering the mann lake 9/18 too but its a bit more than i can afford as i also have to buy things like a bottling bucket and uncapping tank and a filter or two, and bottles...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
dputt88 , congraulations what are your thoughts so far , how's it look . I have been told that there is a area where the sides meet the bottom on this model that debris can accumulate and is hard to clean out possibly making a unhealthy situation from mold etc . have they fixed this problem or can you still see it .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it will be here next week and im extracting ASAP. you can remove everything from the extractor so i dont see how you can get mold if you actually try to clean it. but ill keep you updated

1 - 20 of 30 Posts