Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When buying Nucs does the breeder or seller actually sell you the whole NUC with the bees in it, or do you have to provide the woodenware and they provided the bees and frames?

Looking to buy some Nucs from Dwight Porter in the spring and was just curious. I didn't want to bother him with a possibly dumb question. So I'm going to bother ya'll instead.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
In most instances you take your boxes and frames to the seller and he transfers frames of bees and brood to them. Some require a frame exchange, some don't. I talked to Porter earlier this year and if I'm not mistaken he requires you to bring brand new equipment to his place to lessen the possibility of bringing in disease or pests. BTW, you can transfer a 5 frame nuc right into your 8 or 10 frame equipment, so you don't need to buy or build any nuc boxes; just bring enough frames to fill out the box.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
"bother him"

Some suppliers do frame exchange some dont some supply a cardboard box some want you to bring yor own box so yes bother him he should have the answers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
this past spring I bought 10 nucs of Russians. They were five frames in cardboard nuc boxes. My supplier did not require frame exchange or me to bring my own boxes to transfer the frames into. I loaded up, paid him and drove home.

Everyone is different. Ask your supplier what he expects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts