Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of the family recently gave me his two Dadant hive setups, his bee clothes, and gear. One hive is brand new and the other was been sitting unused for many years. The used hive was of course full of remnants of an epic wax month infestation, so I've started scraping the boxes clean and scorching them. I don't have access to a barrel to do a lye or OA bath. Any frames that were rotted or gross went in the trash. At this point I'm trying to figure out how to save what's left. Among other things, I'd like to honor the gift from this very nice older gentleman by not throwing away more than absolutely necessary.

Here's the charred deep - will the bees use it if it's this burnt?:
Charred deep.jpg

A medium that needs a little more scraping, cleaning, and painting:
Another shallow.jpg

These boxes and frames are in good shape structurally, still have their foundation, but have some wax moth cocoons on them:
Old boxes and frames (top).jpg Old boxes and frames (bottom).jpg

Some kind of heavy duty plastic bottom. Structurally sound, but stained from WM poop/debris (has a telescoping lid from the same pastic):
IMG_7874.jpg IMG_7874.jpg

In addition, he gave me 2 boxes of drawn honey frames. These were kept in his barn after extracting and are wax moth-free. The top bars in one box look propolis-stained or dirty. One or two have spider webs from me keeping them under a tarp on the patio:
Old honey frames (combs).jpg Old honey frames (top bars).jpg

Is scraping and torching sufficient? Is there a way to clean up the honey frames without destroying the comb? Can I save the frames with old foundation if I trash the foundation?

·
Registered
746 Posts
If it's a friend who gave them to you, I assume he's not passing on hives that died from AFB (could you ask him?). If so, reuse as much as you can. Bees will do a great job of cleaning up frames. I'd scrape away excess propolis and any really dodgy parts of the frames, toss any that are really bad, then freeze the frames to kill any moth larvae. You'll be good to go then.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If memory serves, the previous colony swarmed, then absconded (likely when the wax moths moved in?). I don't want to bore you with the whole story, but the friend, who is 85+, wanted his son to have everything. Unfortunately, the son was too busy with work/career/family. They gave me the gear when they found out I'd started keeping bees.

I will ask tactfully about AFB. But he's a good person, so I hesitate to do so (if you catch my drift).

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I will ask tactfully about AFB, but he's a good person, so I almost hesitate to do so if you know what I mean.
Look in the frames for AFB or have someone look at them. You don't need to insult the guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts