Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a telescoping top that I have shimmed up for a top entrance. Last night my bees were beading on the entrance. They beading in clusters, in groups and were really loud.
Is the OK? or should I add more shims to increase air flow. It was hot yesterday; I have two med supers on two med for brood, and a screened bottom board.
Keith

·
Registered
706 Posts
let me ask you this? Do you enjoy sitting on your front porch on after a hard day at work and enjoy the cool evening air? I know I do so do bees its normal you have a SBB on shimmed the top your bees are just doing what they like to do.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
remove the board from under your SBB (if its in place) open your entrance (if you have a restriction block in place) consider "staggering" your boxes to leave an air space at the front and back, get some pre made lath screen from a home improvement store and put on top for shade. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
bearding is normal in warmer/hot weather. If you have a SBB with the tray removed, and have shimmed the top your fine. No further action need be taken, they will beard when they want to. If you have not inspected lately just make sure they have plenty of room for brood and nectar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts