Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a wet spring with lots of swarming, we had a dry June. Right now, I've got one strong hive and it is robbing the others which turns out were without queens. I've requeened but noticed there is hardly any stores of honey.

We have annual sunflowers and other coming on from recent rains, but I wonder if I need to feed for a while. If I do, I know I should feed the strong one, too, or it will rob. It is robbing a hive right now even through I reduced the entrance down to a single bee width.

Feed? Any advice?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Jim,

I'm done in Motley County in the southern portion of the panhandle. I would recommend you feed. I'm feeding until the cotton blooms come on strong and then I'm going to make them fend for themselves. Your robbing problem has stolen the stores of honey and nectar from your other hives right?

I'd recommend moving the guilty, robbing hive at least 3 miles away from your other hives until they can build up stores again. Having them queen right and full of bees will also cut down on the robbing.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
getting them strong as fast as you can will help too. Pull a few frames of brood from your strong hive, shake off bees, and plug them into your others. Feed pollen sub if you have it, this will also help get the hives right again.
good luck

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Think about equalizing your hives in terms of brood, bees and honey. Or give the weak hives capped honey from the strong one and only feed that one. Close down the entrances of the weaker if you do that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
you can streghten your hives by moveing the weak hive to right were the strong one was and the strong to the weak. that way the worker bees out flying will go back to and build up the weak hive it works real good.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Feed the strong one, take frames of nectar they make from it to give to the weaker ones.

Don't feed the weaker ones if they are already being robbed, it will intensify the robbing.

If the robbing is bad enough to be a danger to the hives being robbed, then move the hive being robbed and set up a dummy hive in it's place with a light frame in it of some nectar. This lets the robbers think they've robbed it all out and leave. If all you do is move the robbed hive away, the robbers will look for it and cause havoc in other hives as well. And put an entrance reducer and some branches or grass in the front of the hive you moved to make them reorient some to get used to the new location.

Move the robber hive away for a distance of several miles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I moved the robber hive out to a cotton field. First time setting a hive on cotton.

I am now feeding the ones that were robbed. Both have new queens, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts