Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a 2nd year beek and had my first swarm on April 14th. The bees left enough capped queen cells to make 3 new hives and re-queen my other original hive from last year. Today, I saw 3 Queens and plenty of evidence of the 4th one. My problem is hive #1, the hive that swarmed.

Hive #1 has 4 full medium supers and they are starting to build out comb in a 5th. There are a ton of bees, capped and uncapped syrup and pollen. In the bottom couple of supers, there’s a lot of shiny open cells, some thick, murky looking cells and some newish capped drone cells. I took some pictures, hoping that you all can tell me if I have a laying worker problem or what. I can’t yet tell if I’ve got brood until They get to the “curly white worm” phase.

Based on what I’ve seen with the other hives, I’m thinking I should see plenty of capped brood. What do you all think?

If the verdict is Laying Worker, what should I do? This hive is pretty large and I’ve got 3 new small queen-right hives. Should I combine the big one with another one (or two) or should I try to buy a local queen and introduce her?

Thanks!
Denise

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Denise, grab a frame of brood from one of the other hives and put in there, see what they do. All my hives that swarmed when yours did are now queenright with brood. Your queen may have failed to make it back. Drone brood could have been laid just before old queen left. 24 days to emergence from egg. Hard to tell in the photos, looks like some cells have eggs in them, some more than one. It could just be lighting. Would help identify the problem if you could use a flashlight and magnifying glass to know for sure.

Let me know if you need a virgin queen to install. I should have a few ready soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm with JW, Just ad a frame of brood from another hive. Make sure that there is uncapped brood and some new eggs and larva. That way if they are queenless the can make a new queen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts