Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling some land I own, and I have 1 hive there, so I'll need to move it.
This hive currently has 5 medium supers. I can take 1 off, it just has a few started honey frames in it.
That will leave 4 boxes, and that's going to be too heavy, so my plan is to take an extra top and bottom board over there and put the top 2 supers on and ratchet strap it. Then put the top back on the remaining 2 and ratchet strap it down. I plan to do this during the daytime, then come back at dusk and stuff screen wire in both entrances and haul the bees off.
I will probably wait till next morning to remove screen and put both hives back into 1.
Does this sound ok? I've never had to move a hive, and these bees are a little testy right now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Only thing I'd add, if you weren't already going to do it, is check the extended weather forecast. Moving bees in the rain is a recipe for real nasty bees! Also, if you have a choice move them on a cooler evening and unite them on a cool morning just after the sun rises (so you can see a lot better!) They seem to stay in the boxes better.

Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. We plan on wearing extra protective clothing, and lots of smoke when re-combining.:D

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You might want to check your hive at night to see what it's like. Mine are bearding, and I have full entrances open, and screened bottom board. The odds are, in this weather you won't be able to shove screen in the entrance to keep the bees in.

Are you using screened bottom boards? thinking about a screen top for ventilation during the move? An option would be some mosquito netting wrapped around the hive to keep the bees confined. And remember, after dark, they CRAWL. and they sting.

I have cut 1" pipe 6' long, and used it as handles on each side of the hive, under the telescoping cover. Pipe slips between the ratchet strap and the hive body, lifts the hive by the telescoping cover. No hands down by the entrance that way.
Good luck!
Steven

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, this hive is bearding, even more than my other 2 hives at home, even though it has a SBB on it and screened top board and top propped up. Not sure why because this hive is the shade of 2 trees, other than that it has a lot of bees in it.
Thanks for those tips. Hadn't thought about those crawling bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts